30. Pinned Down

this isn't really pinned down but 

rushed update it's literally been a month since October has ended I just wanna get back to normal updates again

*screams in I've been working on this for weeks*

holy shit this book has reached 2k while I was writing this

CW: alcohol use

please listen to greek tragedy by the wombats, the Oliver nelson remix on repeat (youtube has a loop feature on both PC and mobile) while reading this because my god is this chapter horrid without any music

-

We're smashing mics in karaoke bars

You were busy chatting up the bartender, who seemed to be an amateur and didn't quite know not to flirt with customers. They were trying to impress you by flipping the two cups slammed together. You laughed, covering your mouth with your hand as they blushed harder, barely catching the cups. The other bartender actually serving drinks tapped them on the shoulder, directing them back to other customers. They sheepishly grinned at you, rushing to attend to a sleazy man in a suit with a woman half his age clinging onto his arm.

You're running late with half your make-up on

You peel your eyes away to gaze at a man in a blue collared shirt, and a navy sweater layered on top. It's surprisingly oversized, considering his height. His burnt almond hair brushes his tea shades, which are tinted the lightest grey. You think they're prescription glasses. His skin is practically flawless, which you assume is due to foundation and concealer.

This method acting might pay our bills

He's chatting with his friends, laughing at a joke his pink-haired accomplice told. He takes a sip from his water bottle, choking immediately as another friend points at the bar, in your general direction. He stares at you, and you give him a little wave and grin. You down a shot, watching as the man with barely visible facial hair pats the sweater guy's back as he coughs, before giving him a push towards you. Smiling warmly, you abandoning your prepaid drink (a lovely woman in a leopard print dress had paid for a couple of shots, and you had exchanged numbers on a platonic note) on the bar counter to meet him in the unoccupied back of the dance floor.

But soon enough there'll be a different role to fill

You stick out your hand to shake, grinning broadly. You give him your name, and he grasps your hand briefly.

"Wilbur," he says, offering you a beam in return. "What brings you to a karaoke bar in the middle of Brighton?"

"The promise of free drinks from pretty strangers, and possibly a good night." He gives you a knowing look, and you chuckle. "Something else, though probably unexpected, is always welcome."

I love this feeling
But I hate this part

The two of you chat into the night, sharing a few drinks. You're both still stone sober, even after the alcohol.

"You have a high alcohol tolerance?" You laugh. "Who would've thought?"

"I used to party a lot in college when I was working towards an associate's. In hindsight, not the best idea because I have shit hangovers. Why are you so surprised?" He joins in your mirth, sharing a few chuckles.

"You don't seem the type to party, you look all preppy and shit. Like a teacher's pet or something."

He gasps in the fake offense. "I am not!"

I wanted this to work so much
I drew up our plans on a chart

"Do you ever plan to start a serious relationship from your bar hopping?" He glances at you, leaning his back on the bar counter.