Sick Days

It turns out polar bears aren't just physically strong. They have freakishly strong immune systems too. Well, at least Captain Barnacles does. It took him 3 DAYS to get over the ASF. Any other creature would've needed 4 more days at least. And knowing the Captain, the second he felt well enough, he was back to taking care of his crew. My sisters and I were still sick, as were most of the others. The Captain came into our room after visiting Peso and Pinto, who were probably as surprised as we were about seeing him well so quickly. He came in, made a lot of small talk with us, took our temperatures, everything he was supposed to do.
"Well, looks like you three are doing alright." He said, "Just give it a couple more days." I ran to the bucket in the corner of our room and puked my guts out for the 7th time that day.
"Uh oh, that's not good." The captain said, walked over and rubbed my back gently, "Looks like you can't keep solid food down for long. I've gotta go check on Kwazii now, I'll be back for you soon." I smiled slightly, Kwazii was probably up to something again, knowing him. I tried to stand up, but the Captain immediately swooped me up into his arms, and carried me to my cot. "Oh, Jane I don't think you should be walking yet, you're still sick." he said quietly.
"What happened to Peso?" I asked, teasing, "Did he die? And you're channeling his spirit?" He laughed.
"Normally, a creature's body is quicker to recover, not their wit, well, everyone's different."
It took my body 3 more days to catch on that it was sick of staying in bed. I felt way better, and had to beg Peso, who had already recovered completely, to let me get out of bed and help him to take care of everyone else. Squirt and I were assigned to take care of my sisters and the Vegimals, who were far more difficult than my sisters. Barnacles, Inkling, and Peso took care of everyone else, and gradually, more and more of the crew joined us. Our routine gradually changed, everyday, we got up whenever someone needed anything, whether it be 3 in the morning, or 2 in the afternoon. Then, we were given a simple breakfast, and it was off to work. We were to visit our "patients", take their temperatures, and bring them anything they needed. Then we had lunch, got a break to do whatever we wanted. Usually, we just played board games and Twister in the library. But still, we always kept alert in case someone needed help. After a while of free time, we all went to do an evening round, and brought everybody their food, ate dinner ourselves, and collapsed into bed. This went on for about 2 weeks, since we found out Vegimals have the ASF for way longer than any other creature, and it was much easier to take care of all the Vegimals with everyone else's help. After that instance, we had decided that from now on, people entering the Octopod were required to go through a health screening, and that the ASF is even more of a pain in the tail when you're stuck in the middle of the ocean.