Our Best Interests

"What are you to call the social worker at all times?" Dashi asked me for what seemed like the trillionth time as she fussed with the collar of my shirt.

"Sir or ma'am." I answered her, squirming at the scratchy collar. Before the hearing, some social workers had to interview Koshi and me for "evidence in the case" or something like that. And while they interviewed Koshi, Dashi was trying to prepare me for this so I wouldn't screw everything up. Sadly for her, screwing everything up is one of my greatest talents.

The anxiety melted off Dashi's face for a second as she brushed the hair off of my forehead and giving it a soft kiss "Good girl." She smiled and rubbed my cheek with her thumb, "No matter what happens, I love you, OK?" The realization that this might be the last time I'll see my sister for a long time hit me harder than a blue whale, and I buried my head into her shoulder.

"I don't wanna leave you." Despite my best attempts, my eyes filled with tears and it was all I could do to keep from bawling my eyes out then and there.

"I don't want you to leave either." Dashi whispered, rubbing my back in circles, "but you won't have to, just do the interview and you'll be fine. We've not nothing we need to hide, right?"

"What about Kwazii?" I whispered back.

"What they don't know won't hurt 'em." A southern drawl said with a giggle from the doorway.

"Tweaky!" Dashi abandoned the comb she had been using on my hair and went to give Tweak a hug. Tweak chuckled and returned her hug.

"How you holdin' up Dash?" She whispered as she brushed her lips against Dashi's forehead.

"I'm alright," Dashi replied, "but..." even without looking, I could tell she was talking about me. A large shadow appeared in front of me, and Tweak took me from Dashi's arms.

"Oh, now we can't have that." She smiled playfully and began to wipe away my tears with her thumb, "C'mon now, gimme a smile, you little hellhound." She coaxed me, and gently poked my stomach until she had finally forced a smile out of me.

"Ah, there's a good girl." Tweak smiled fondly as she ruffled my hair and turned to Dashi, "Dash, with a smile from this cutie, we've got this case in the bag!"

I hid my face from both of them so they wouldn't see me grinning like crazy, "I'm not cute anymore." I muttered to Tweak.

"Oh really?" Tweak cocked her head, "Who says?"

"Tweak," Dashi lowered her voice urgently as Tweak looked behind her; there the officer was.

"Oh, see ya after the interview, baby girl," she gave me a soft kiss on the head, "Love you!"

"I love you too, Tweak." I whispered as I unhooked my arms from around her neck and grabbed the paw the officer offered to me.

"Nervous?" She asked me once we were outside a foreboding looking office.

"No." I lied, and relinquished her paw as I stepped inside.A fatherly looking man sat with his hands folded at a table, and he gestured for me to sit down across from him.

"So, what's your name kiddo?"

"Jane." I answered, knocking my knees together under the table.

"Well, Jane, nice to meet you. I'm Dr. Stevens."

"Nice to meet you too." I focused on the heavy leather shoes he wore.

"I'm here to ask you some questions about what it's like living with your sister, is that OK with you?"

"Yeah." We have nothing to hide, right?"

"Does your sister feed you well?" He looked over a clipboard at me, like he could see straight into my brain to tell if I was lying or not.

"Yes"

"Do you eat healthy?"

"Yes."

"Where do you sleep?"

"In a room with her and Koshi." On and on these stupid questions went until finally, the officer who brought me in here peeked her head through the door and gestured that it was time for me to leave, much to my relief. As she led me outside, I caught sight of Dashi and Koshi standing a little farther down the hallway and I ran into Dashi's arms without a second thought that I was supposed to stay by the officer at all times.

"Dashi, did we win?" I asked eagerly, but silently.

"Not yet; we still gotta sit in front of a judge to see what they say, OK, pup?"

Verdammt. I'd forgotten that part. After court case after court case of my Uncle Mike's, I've spotted a pattern; The law never seemed to favor my family.