No Arguments Necessary

Tweak looked ecstatic, but Dashi looked like she wanted to crawl under a rock and stay there forever. Dad had that effect on us.

"Preston," Mom cut in, glaring at Dad with her signature 'you humongous child, I can't believe I have to look after both you and the girls!' look, "I believe there was something important we were meant to be discussing?"

"Really? Oh yeah!" Dad exclaimed and cleared his throat, "Babies, isn't there something else you can do? For example, swimming all the way to Egypt?" All of us giggled and Dashi pretended to roll her eyes at him.

"Dad, we're actually near the Nile River, so they could if they wanted to." We were actually in the Pacific right off the coast of Japan.

"But-!" I began as Dashi stepped in front of me and began nudging both me and Koshi in the direction of the door.

"I think I hear Pinto, girls. Someone's gotta go keep him company!" Dashi smirked playfully at us.

"NO!" We both shrieked as Dashi shut the door behind us. My sister's such a little (insert word Tweak said that I got in trouble for saying).

"Well," Koshi sighed and slumped down against the door, "Do you wanna handle him?"

"I always handle him!" I protested as Koshi rolled her eyes.

"That's cos he likes you and you keep him out of people's hair the longest!"

"Arschloch." I muttered as Koshi stuck her tongue out at me, and I aimed a fist at her chin. She knocked it out of the way as indistinct muttering from the room drifted through the door over to us.

Koshi and I immediately froze and looked over at the door. The soft murmur of voices could be heard, but we couldn't make out anything that was being said. Koshi shot me a 'should we?' look and without missing a beat, both of us sprang to the door as silently as we could and pressed our ears against it, desperate not to miss a single second of the conversation.

"...should they go back?" I heard Dashi ask hesitantly. I could almost picture her fiddling with her bedcovers. I clung to the side of the wall by the door so hard my knuckles were turning white and starting to cramp, but I couldn't pay less attention to them.

"Dash, do you wanna keep them with you?" We could hear Dad ask as Koshi and I gaped at each other. Joy and worry fought each other all the way down into my stomach. We could stay here! With Dashi! But we'd be leaving our entire family behind.

"Baba," Dashi started, "You know-."

"You remember how it's always been, Dashi." Mom chimed in, "Remember when you had to take your sisters to photography club because there was no one home to watch them? We got medical bills to pay, and I love the girls as much as you do, but we wouldn't be able to give them a good life with everything going on."

"I understand." Dashi sighed, "But they'd have actual parents and not just a babysitter."

"Dash, you're doin' amazing with the girls." I could hear Tweak say, "They're such good kids, and we'll all help you."

Dashi didn't respond for a while. "Can I think about it first?" Dashi asked finally, "I'll ask the girls too."

"Sure." Mom replied warmly, "And tell them we love them too."

"Will do, Mama." I could hear the cheeriness in her voice, "I love you."

"I love you too." Dashi murmured before the telltale logging off 'ding'. And once more, the three of us were left to our own devices.