Words That Could Fly

From that day on, I found myself lurking in the library more than I used to, reading that book, Inkling stopping every now and then to check on me and ask how it was going. Pinto often came with me too. We'd go to his room early in the morning with him looming over us, and we would read the Anastasia book with him as he taught us more and more about her and her brother, Alexei.

"Now, here's a story you two will like." He chuckled. We were sitting with our backs to the bookshelves, Inkling in between the 2 of us, reading from the book in his lap. It turns out Anastasia and her brother Alexei had hidden under the table once their father had friends over, pinched the guests under the table, and basically just tortured them the whole time.

Plus, Anastasia had 3 older sisters. THREE, and a younger brother. She really was amazing. One day, I'd gone into the library after Koshi and Squirt had left to get the book. Only problem. I was far too vertically challenged to reach it. So then what was my solution?

I carefully placed my foot on the bottom slat of the bookshelf and hoisted myself up. I climbed just high enough to pull the book down with my free paw, but as I reached for it, a call startled me, and I fumbled for the shelf, gripping it just in the nick of time. Inkling practically swung himself to reach me, and I felt a strong tentacle holding up my foot. My foot shook, and I clung tighter to the bookshelf.

"It's alright, dearest." Inkling soothed, "Hold still." His tentacle gently began to pull me down towards him, and 3 more wrapped themselves around me, lowering me to the ground.

"Did you come here for the book?" He asked. I nodded, "Wonderful, dear!" He rubbed his tentacles together, "Kindly
bring me that ladder over there." I ran over and pushed the ladder over to him. We both reached for the ladder at the exact same time.

"Oh no, I'll get the book for you sweetheart!" Inkling began to climb. "This old octopus can still climb a ladder." He threw the book down to me and I fumbled, nearly dropping it onto the ground.

"Got it?" He peered at me from at least 5 feet above.

"Yep!" I smiled brightly.

"Well then, what are you waiting for, sweetheart? There's reading to be done, dear girl!" He clapped his tentacles together.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You know, Jane." Inkling's voice startled me, yanking my attention from the book over to the professor sitting beside me, "You and Anastasia have a lot in common, and I'm not talking about the pranks. Do you know what I'm talking about, dearest?"  I shook my head.

"Look here." He gently rubbed my back with his tentacle and showed me a page, "Can you read that for me, Jane?"

"Since she was the youngest girl, always overshadowed by her 3 golden sisters and little brother, she resorted to mischief as her main method of attention." The words tumbled out and it all clicked into place. I stared into the professor's sea green eyes incredulously.

"The farther I go into this book, the more Anastasia reminds me of you, Jane." His voice had a smile in it, "And I don't mean the pranks and mischief either, dear."

"You mean being the troublemaker of the family." I finished for him.

"Yes" Discomfort shifted itself into his tone, "But you're so wonderfully unique from your sisters as well. You're absolutely fearless and have such a special way of thinking about problems." I turned around to look at him. His expression told me something 100 of Koshi's stupid writings couldn't. He knew what he was saying (he wasn't senile) and he meant every word. It was a nice feeling, being different from my sisters and being loved for it. It never happened often.