Too Close For Comfort

"Darn, the Octopod's looking fine." Ryla exclaimed in surprise.

"Tell that to Tweak." Pinto snickered.

"Alright then, mate. I will." Ryla smiled and winked. When we got into the Launch Bay, Tweak was the only one in the room, and she was working on a beat up Gup-B.

"Did Kwazii crash it again?" I asked in disbelief. This was the second time in 3 days.

"You got it, lil hellhound. How that idiot managed to get it stuck between two rocks, I'll never know." We all winced.

"Thoughts and prayers, mate." Ryla cringed at the damage, "Bet he's quite a pawful." Tweak chuckled.

"He's more of a pawful than both the little devils you have combined. Where were you three anyways?" All three of us froze. It had been 15 minutes, and I already forgot the story. Luckily Ryla did.

"They... saw me from the Octopod, and ran out to meet me." She lied. It didn't look like Tweak was buying it.

"Really? Well in that case, what were you doing in the middle of the ocean? Peso specifically told you no cave diving for the next week."

"Boat trip and scuba diving." Ryla wasn't convincing her one bit.

"Well even if that's true, how would the kids have seen you and no one else?"

"We borrowed Kwazii's telescope." I piped up. And Pinto nodded in agreement. Tweak seemed to get even more suspicious.

"Should I ask Kwazii?" She asked dangerously. Well, shoot. If I were to say no, she'd know I was lying about the whole thing, but if I said yes, Kwazii wouldn't be guaranteed to play along, so Tweak marched off to Kwazii's room with Pinto and me trailing behind her.

"Kwazii! Did you let the kids borrow your telescope?" She called out to him from the opening of the Octochute.

"What?" He hollered back, looking very confused as Pinto and I gestured at him to say yes.

"Yeah?" He seemed confused, "What's the matter with that?"

"Nothin', just asking." Tweak shrugged and headed back to the Launch Bay as Pinto launched himself at Kwazii.

"Thank you, Kwazii." His words were muffled through Kwazii's fur, and Kwazii hugged him right back.

"Ar, you're welcome, little matey." Kwazii pet his head, "What did ya need me to say yes for anyways?" So we told him the whole story of trying to find the monster, finding Ryla instead, coming back to the Octopod with our story tied in a nice little bow, Tweak finding out, and our lie about the telescope. When we finished, he was grinning boyishly.

"Ohohoho, great swashbuckling, lil maties!" He chuckled and put his paws on our shoulders, "Let's go down to the Launch Bay now, so Tweak doesn't think anything's fishy." As we approached the Launch Bay, I heard Ryla laughing and trying to coax Dashi, who seemed to be trying to suffocate her with hugs.

"Alright, good girl, good girl, get offa me already." Ryla laughed, and Dashi finally released her.

"So good to see you again." Dashi said, and hugged her again. 

"Nice to see you too, Dash." This time Ryla hugged her back, "Your sisters give you grey hairs yet?" She joked, and Dashi's eyes fell on me watching her off to the side. In the moment I made eye contact with her, I quickly shook my head, and Dashi smiled.

"Jane insists I didn't." She snickered and nodded in my direction.

"Ah." Ryla said knowingly. "Anyways, Peso's insisting I stay for a week so-" She didn't even finish her sentence when this time, both Tweak and Dashi were on her.

"So I'm guessing you don't mind." Ryla sounded amused.

"Not a bit."

"In fact, can you stay forever?" Pinto called from behind me, and we all laughed. Having Ryla around would be amazing, even if it was only for a week.