Big Mistake

"C'mere, mate, we hear ya and see ya." I heard Ryla say, and my heart turned to ice. Aah. This wasn't gonna end well. I shuffled slowly and unwillingly over to her in order to prolong my life by at least a little bit, but to my surprise, Ryla just sat me beside her and scolded me in a gentle tone,

"Jane, don't you think you're a little too young for The Nightmare on Elm Street. I'm just afraid you'll get nightmares from it. It isn't exactly kid-friendly if ya know what I mean."

"You're letting Dashi watch it." I pointed out, "She's totally not going to get nightmares or hide under the bed or run away screaming." A brilliant red blush bloomed in my sister's cheeks as Ryla burst out laughing.

"Oh, that's a good one. I showed this gal "Little Shop of Horrors" and she refused to look." Tweak looked shocked.

"'Little Shop of Horrors?!'" Tweak cried incredulously, "That- that movie's not one tiny bit scary. It's a musical for goodness's sake! Name one scary musical, I dare you!"

"Sweeney Todd." Ryla answered nonchalantly, "That musical." She shook her head, "It gave me nightmares for a few days afterwards, mate."

"Really?" Tweak asked good-naturedly, "Huh, I've never heard of it."

"Ah, it's brilliant, you oughtta see it sometime. In fact, how about we watch it tomorrow night?" Ryla offered.

"Sounds good to me." Tweak answered brightly, "So should we start on 'Nightmare on Elm Street'?"

"Sure." Ryla shrugged,

"Go ahead." Dashi seemed to scoot closer to Tweak's bed, then she turned her attention onto me, "You, out." She teased.

"Aww come on, please." I pleaded, "I won't get scared."

"Yeah, Dash." Tweak came and hugged me from behind, "This lil hellhound didn't flinch ONCE during Chucky."

"Not a even a bit?" Ryla didn't sound convinced.

"Nope. This kid's got guts of steel." Tweak challenged. The only thing: Tweak didn't say which Chucky movie it was. She had shown me "Seed of Chucky". That movie's special effects were so bad, even I could tell they were fake.

"Impressive." Dashi didn't sound like she believed us either, "Jane, why don't you run and get Koshi to see if she wants to see this movie as well." I groaned. That stupid Saumensch was the last person I wanted to watch a horror movie with, and there was a special reason why, but I trudged out of the room and towards the Octo-chute. As I reached it, I turned around and asked Dashi with a bit of a desperate note in my voice,

"Do I have to?"

"Yes." All three of them chorused, and I turned around with a moan and went to get my pendeja of a sister.

"Hey Saumensch," I grumbled as the doors to our room hissed open. She was in bed, reading one of her Donna Doxie books, and didn't even bother looking up as I bust in grumpily, "Dashi, Tweak, and Ryla are watching 'Nightmare on Elm Street', wanna come."

She shrugged, "Sure." And with that we left, not another word exchanged between us until we were just outside of Tweak's room.

"Just don't hide under Tweak's bed like you did with the 'Banana Splits Movie'." Koshi teased.

"Yeah, and you better not cling to Dashi and refuse to go anywhere without your Donna Doxie blankie." I ribbed her right back, and I had noticed only then that she had her satchel on her.

"I brought Laika in case you get scared." She put Laika in my paws as my face grew hot and my feet rooted themselves onto the ground.

"I won't need her; I don't get scared easily during horror movies." I was only sorta lying when I said that.

"Who was the one that refused to sleep in their own bed out of fear that Fleegle was gonna get them?" Koshi asked pointedly.

"Who was the one who wouldn't sleep with the lights off out of fear that Fleegle would get them?" I mimicked her tone. She only laughed and threw an arm over my shoulder.

"Let's go now. Don't get scared, I'm watching you."

"I won't." I promised her. Oh how wrong I was.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had tried not to get scared of the movie, and I did better than Dashi, who hid behind Ryla on the first scene, but when Freddy Krueger nabbed his first kill, I couldn't help but hold Laika a little tighter and hide my face between my knees as a pair of little, warm paws made their way across my shoulders.

"It'll be OK." Koshi rubbed my back in circles, "It's not real, I promise." Maybe this movie was a mistake, a HUGE mistake. I'd never sleep again out of fear of Freddy Krueger haunting my dreams. Oh, the stupid situations I get myself into.