I Should Shut Up

"What's the atomic number's purpose again?" Koshi asked. Pinto and I just looked at her and shrugged. To be honest, she was asking the wrong people. Pinto and I knew close to nothing about science, so what other option did we have but turn to the person we knew would know.

"To define an element." Squirt replied without even looking up from his study guide. We were having our usual midnight study session in the Game Pod with whatever snacks we could pillage from the kitchen for whenever we had a test because we could. And as usual, we were currently discussing everything EXCEPT for the upcoming test we had.

"Do you all think you're ready?" Koshi leaned back against her beanbag chair and yawned.

"I dunno." Squirt shrugged, "Are you all?"

"Bro, you're the best at all of us at science." I scoffed, "You'll do great."

"Awww," He smiled, "You'll do great too, as long as there's no mention of Nirvana on your test paper, that is." I laughed but threw a cushion at his head regardless. Neither he nor Koshi had been aware about Shellington's surprise test until about two hours ago when Pinto and I told them and explained the nail-biting that had given him away.

"So what is Lithium then?" I flicked a bit of whipped cream at him, "Go on, genius, enlighten me."

Squirt gave me a resigned look and began to explain it to me, knowing that I'd probably forget everything he said the second he stopped to take a breath "Lithium is an alkali metal with the atomic number three and-."

"In normal people speak, please." Pinto requested pointedly as Squirt gave him a nasty look.

"Do any of us other than Squirt actually know what's happening anyway?" I inquired amusedly as Koshi and Pinto both shook their heads.
"What about you?" Koshi asked as I shrugged, "Jane, I'd be surprised if you could even name a single element."

"But I have." I told her, "Lithium."

"One that doesn't share a name with a Nirvana song?" Koshi teased.

"As far as I'm concerned, Lithium is a Nirvana song and the element just shares its name." I insisted.

"Does she- do you?" Squirt looked from one of us to the other.

"No, she's never made sense to me either." Koshi shook her head and sighed.

"When does she ever make sense?" Pinto snickered and popped a full fish biscuit into his mouth.

"When do YOU ever make sense?" I ribbed him.

"That's a good point." Koshi admitted.

"Is not." Pinto crossed his flippers and pretended to sulk.

"Says the idiot who jumps off cliffs cos he's trying to fly." Squirt teased.

"Says the idiot who actually LIKES this class!" Pinto shot back and stuck his tongue out at Squirt.

"Woah, woah, woah!" Squirt exclaimed as he threw up his tentacles, "Science can actually be fun if-!"

"Which is exactly something Shellington's favorite would say!" Pinto yelled back as Koshi and I tried to shush them. Boys.

"OK, when are we actually gonna study instead of roasting each other the whole night?" Koshi asked once our noise level was out of the danger zone.

"Never?" I offered.

"We're in trouble." Squirt concluded.

"Yes we are."