Verdammt

Note to self: whenever Pinto mentions a "monster hunt", don't believe him. This was probably a lesson I learned a little too late.

Skipping Inkling's class sounded like a good idea in theory. We'd have some extra time to do the homework Shellington gave us and we wouldn't be dying of boredom, but no. It wasn't.

We'd told Inkling Shellington needed us for a while, so we might miss some of his class. We weren't exactly lying. We did have something to do for Shellington, and after we'd gotten out without a hint off suspicion on Inkling's part (luckily), we proceeded to duck into a small closet with a flashlight to do the homework Shellington gave us.

"You know, Saumensch. This sets a good mood for a story." Pinto's expression of pure mischievous glee was illuminated by the flashlight. I decided not to mention the kiss I thought he'd bring up.

"What do you mean, Pendejo?" I asked him cautiously.

"A story, Saumensch! Kwazii told me one." Oh, f-. The last Kwazii story Pinto told me resulted in us fighting for hours over whether or not it was real or not.

"What story, estupido?" I asked.

"The one about the venom-fanged sabermouth." He answered like it was the most obvious thing in the universe. Maybe it was and I was just an idiot, or maybe it was because Kwazii told about 100 stories a day and it was a bit hard to keep track of them all.

So apparently, there's this huge monster in a cave not far from here that if it's mouth touches you in any way, you'll get poisoned, and the only way to get un-poisoned is to bathe in a bathtub of maple syrup for an hour. Now I remember. Kwazii had told all 4 of us this story about a week ago when we first landed in the Mediterranean Sea, and Koshi, Squirt, and I hadn't believed a single word he said, but Pinto did, and no one had the heart to let him down.

"We should go find this monster after Shellington's class!" Pinto's eyes lit up, and his whole body tensed with excitement.

"What?! How do we even get out of the Octopod?!" I exclaimed.

"You can drive." He said plainly like it was the most obvious thing in the world. Out of all the stupid plans anyone ever had, Pinto always won first prize.

"Dummkopf," I facepalmed, "You forgot something; I can't drive."

"So what do we do now?!" He asked.

"You know. Such a thing as a door exists." I told him sarcastically.

"Yeah, I know, Pendeja." He elbowed me in the ribs as I pushed his head away, "Should we go now?"

"Ok, whatever." And we set off towards the Launch Bay. Once we put helmets on and silently slipped out the door. It hit us.

Where was the danged cave in the first place?!

"Kwazii said it was where the flying octopus goes, under the giant dolphin's nose." Pinto recited. Verdammt. Kwazii was full of it, "I'm guessing we can't throw Squirt and see where he lands?" Realization immediately began to dawn on Pinto's face.

"Nope. Why did you take this from a guy who runs around the Octopod in a onesie while he's on a sugar high, and still believes in unicorns?!" You get one guess who I'm talking about.

"Yeah I can see that now, so what do we do?" Pinto looked into the distance. There was only a wide expanse of blue as far as the eye could see. Finding this cave was going to take forever. We were essentially stuck walking in circles until we figured out the riddle. Great.