Chapter Seventy-Two

Paperjam sat on his bed, his left foot quickly tapping the ground beneath him in a rhythmic pattern. The window beside his bedside table was open, letting a soft breeze through, as well as lighting up most of the room. The recently mentioned table by his bed held nothing but an empty, small flower vase, the water inside it a slightly tinted colour. 

The reason the vase was empty, was because the flowers that were meant to be in it were currently in his hands. Paperjam had been continuously taking the flowers from the vase, before putting them back in minutes later. And because of this behaviour, most of his lap and some of the floor were wet, as well as his right hand, which were holding the purple flowers.

Paperjam's other hand was being used as a resting place for his face. He was looking down at the flowers, which were currently lazily being held just above the gap between his legs. Paperjam's eyes never seemed to leave the flowers, and it was obvious he was deep in thought.

Paperjam sighed, a deep, long, annoyed sigh, before going to put the hydrangea's back in the vase. "I swear to all things above PJ, if you do that one more time I'm going to throw those out the window" Gradient's quiet, yet vexed voice spoke up. Paperjam's eyes snapped up from the flowers to Gradient, who was sitting on his own bed on the opposite side of the room, glaring at him halfheartedly.

Despite the obvious joking tone his brother had, Paperjam glared at him. "Don't you dare Gradient" Paperjam snapped at him, squeezing the stems of the hydrangea's slightly. Gradient shifted on his bed, and gave Paperjam an unimpressed look, "someone's touchy" He noted, somewhat amused. Paperjam huffed, "Touchy? I'm not being touchy" Paperjam lifted his face up from his hand, giving him a even more irritated glare. 

Gradient hummed, making it obvious he wasn't convinced. "Yes, yes, Paperjam, not touchy at all-" Paperjam angrily threw the closest pillow to him in retaliation, "Hey!" Gradient shouted, lifting his hands up in defense. "you know what- this is my pillow now!" He fumed, not actually angry. Paperjam found himself relaxing from his previously tense state, "You're just saying that because you'd probably miss me" He accused, grinning.

Gradient got off his bed hastily, pillow in hand, and hopped over to Paperjam's side of the room. Before Paperjam could say anything, He wacked his face with the pillow, "what- stop that!" Paperjam exclaimed, "Not missing you now, am I?" He stated, happily, ignoring him. Paperjam could only use a single hand to try and stop his younger brother's attack, as his other hand was being held as far away as possible, since it still held the flowers. 

merely seconds later, Gradient's hits stopped. Paperjam glanced at his now exhausted brother. "Seriously? You're tired already?" Paperjam questioned, not entirely surprised. Gradient huffed, almost dramatically, "It's one of those heavy pillows, shut up" He grumbled, dropping the pillow to the floor, and sitting next to Paperjam on his bed. Paperjam whacked his arm lightly, "You know, I have a slight feeling that 'one of those heavy pillows' wouldn't be a valid excuse to dad" He grinned at Gradient's glare.

Gradient crossed his arms, "Well, Dad's crazy! I'm not lazy, I'm normal, Unlike you-" Paperjam kicked Gradient's feet. The younger continued defiantly, "Unlike you two!" He spoke, unable to keep himself from grinning. 

A few seconds of silence passed, until Gradient spoke up again, "So, now that you've calmed down, mind telling me what's so captivating with those flowers you got there?" Gradient questioned. Paperjam huffed, "Why do you care?" He asked. Gradient poked him, "Because you've been staring at them like they have the cure to cancer for hours now, and it's getting annoying" Gradient responded, visibly displeased.