Chapter Twenty-Nine

(*edited)

Nightmare sat in the staff room, his hand on his left cheek while looking out the window in boredom. Nightmare looked over to the piles of paperwork Muffet oh so kindly gave to him to do with displeasure. Deciding that he didn't want to do that, he stood up quickly, discreetly hiding them in one of the empty cupboards, hoping he wouldn't forget to do it later.

Walking out of the staff room, Nightmare found the hallways empty, he looked over to his wrist, and looked at the time, '11:43 huh? I thought it had been longer' He thought to himself. Taking his eye-lights off his watch, he walked out of the school, trying to find a certain student he knew was skipping class.

He walked for about ten minutes, and found himself at Cross' favourite place, (and most normal, might I add) to hide while skiving school. He walked in slowly, afraid he might set off one of the many pranks that another student, CC, usually makes, and successfully managed to sneak around the many wires that would of ended up with him covered in some sort of goo. Once he passed all of the many annoying traps, he walked around the corner and found a monochrome eyed skeleton, playing a game of Uno with only one player; himself. "What are you doing?" Nightmare asked, looking in somewhat disappointment and pity him. Cross jumped slightly, "Mr. Nightmare!" He exclaimed, surprisingly not having heard all of Nightmare's struggle trying to get there. Cross shrugged, "CC said he couldn't miss any more classes, something about a bad attendance record" Cross replied, Nightmare nodded understandingly. 

After a while of silence, other than the sound of Cross fiddling with the Uno cards in his hands, Nightmare looked at his watch, "Come on. You're lucky i'm being so lenient." He told Cross, referring to the fact Cross had skipped school again. "You'll never graduate if you keep this up" He warned.

Cross sighed, "yeah..." He agreed, standing up. Nightmare sighed, silently indicating for Cross to follow him. "What are we going to do with him?" Nightmare muttered, Far too quiet for Cross to hear him.

Nightmare sighed for what felt like the tenth time today, He finally managed to finish that stupid pile of work Muffet gave him. Seeing as he had no more lessons left today, and that he had no more paperwork to do, He walked out of the class. But before he could exit the building entirely, Dance, a P.E teacher he barely knew, and Ink, the bane of his existence.

"Do you two need something?" He asked, Dance and Ink nodded at the same time, almost as if they had practiced this encounter. "Yeah, you need to come with us" Dance said, almost robotically. Confused, Nightmare nodded slowly, concern clear on his face.

After a walk that felt much longer than it actually was, the three of them reached an empty classroom, The music classroom. Or more importantly, Dream's classroom. Nightmare gave the two a glare, "what am I doing here?" He asked, looking at the classroom he avoided as if it carried the plague. Ink spoke up, "c'mon, let's go in" Ink said casually, not answering. Nightmare growled, "no! he's probably still in there!" Nightmare whispered harshly. Ignoring Nightmare's words, both of them pushed the angry marshmellow into the classroom.

Dream looked up in surprise, seeing his Twin get pushed into his classroom by Dance and Ink. "uh- hello?" Dream spoke up, making all three of them look at him. Nightmare, who was obviously struggling to get out of Dance's grip, struggled even harder once he saw dream. Dream sighed, questioning if he was still awake, or was actually dreaming this all.

Once Nightmare finally stopped struggling, Ink spoke up, "now, you two are going to stay here together, until you work out what ever this, is" He finished, Dance nodded, "see you tomorrow! hopefully..." He said, muttering the last part. And with that, the door was closed and instantly locked, leaving the two alone in silence.

It had been quiet for a while, For around two hours actually. Nightmare avoided Dream's eyes at all cost, going as far as to close them shut or covering them with his hands. Dream, who was a very chatty person, couldn't take the silence anymore, and spoke up, "...what, what did I do to you?" Dream asked, Nightmare made something between a glare and a pout, staying silent. "what.. ever I did, i'm sorry, okay?" Dream said, Nightmares glare only worsened, and he finally spoke, "too bad you can't tell the dead that, right?" He seethed out, Dream's eyes widened out in realization, and sudden guilt crushed him, "I- that, that's why?" Dream asked, Nightmare nodded, looking away.

A young Nightmare and Dream ran together, both of them looking around 16, both fleeing in their own home to the bathroom, trying to escape the crazy man chasing them. They both ran into the bathroom, and locked the door tight, "where... where's mum?" Dream asked worryingly, taking gasps of air while speaking. Nightmare, who looked just as worried, shrugged, "I Don't know Dream, maybe she's still at work" Nightmare replied, Dream shook his head, "no, she's... oh no Nightmare, she's probably sleeping somewhere! you know how mum is!" Dream spoke in a frenzy, Nightmares eyes widened in realization. Dream made a determined look, "i'm finding her" he said, Nightmare's eyes seemed to widened more, "are you an idiot!?" Nightmare asked, Dream ignored him, running out the Bathroom.

Nightmare sat there in shock, before scattering off to find his brother, It was easy to find Dream though, since he was screaming in fear. Nightmare quickened his pace, fearing the worse, Once he got there though, he realized that it wasn't Dream who was screaming, but rather the man, who was apparently a boy, was. Nightmare gave the boy a good look, before saying to his brother, "Dream, stop, don't go near him" Nightmare spoke lowly, Dream gave his brother his best glare, which wasn't much, "no! he needs help!" Dream said, ignoring Nightmare, Said skeleton growled Dream's name in frustration.

Dream sat down on his knees next to the boy, who looked around their age, "are... are you okay?" Dream asked, The boy grinned, a soft shout from Nightmare could be heard, but Dream ignored him again, "yes, now I am" The boy said creepily, before pulling a knife down on Dream.

Suddenly, A older woman's scream could be heard, Dream opened his eyes and saw his mother, who was stabbed by the knife that was meant to land on him, Nightmare growled, before pouncing on the boy, keeping him from moving, "Dream! call 911! now!" He shouted, Dream just looked at him mother with shock, "Dream! now!" Nightmare begged, "She's going to die!" He pleaded, but even so, Dream seemed to ignore him, looking at what now was just a corpse of his dead mother.

Dream looked down with guilt, "i..." He said nothing. Refusing to meet Nightmare's eyes, ones that were now filled with worry for his 'ex' brother.