SLICE-60

AFTER 6 MONTHS

CONVOCATION

The University is all geared up for it's 50th convocation. In the span of 5 glorious decades, it produced number of scholars and designed the lives of lakhs embarking it's name in the pages of history. Everyone are ready to celebrate the landmark journey.

First two rows in the monumental hall are occupied by the Chief Guests,Principal & Professors followed by students in the third row wearing coats & caps. The total scenario is bubbled with excitement & nervousness when the Principal took charge of the program.

After the oration, he calls for the Chief Guest who is Raghuveer. With a welcoming smile, he walks over to the podium and takes over the Mike,

Raghuveer: Good Morning everybody. It's an honor to be standing infront of you all and I would like to thank your Principal,my friend for inviting me.

He chuckles as the student mass prepare themselves for a long speech,

Raghuveer: Ok relax as you are all expecting, I am not here to lecture, your professors does a better job than me.Rather,hear an youthful story...... of a boy & a girl.

At this they straighten their backs curiously,

Raghuveer: All are awake now? Good! Let's get into it. There's a boy & a girl who doesn't know each other but their lives are somewhat similar.Their families are well off so obviously they are also good.Aise hein ki wo kuch bhi nai karega na tab bhi chalega.But they didn't think like that.Despite having an influential surname, they never used it.They choose their own professions going against their families.And like any other normal students,attended classes regularly & worked hard for merit scores.The girl joined her father's business when she was still a student & the boy went to pursue his passion.

While all their peers were enjoying & chilling,she juggled between college & office & he struggled between life & death.

Here, you might all think what's the need for them to strive? Rather having fun why are they straining themselves?

Even I used to think the same.It was my prejudice about this generation.Like the girl & the boy,there are many of you who struggle hard even though you are blessed with good lives.I never understood these people.
I thought why don't you follow what your parents say? Why are you choosing to suffer?

He looks at the student crowd, their expressions gave out their thoughts. Some are offended,some are frowning, some are interested but everyone are curious to know the next,

Raghuveer: Because of dreams.Dream to achieve something.Dream to become someone. Dream to make your name. Now dreams don't know who's rich & who's poor right? They appear to anyone at anytime.

He smiles before continuing,

Raghuveer: Living in this society, Parents fulfill all the wants and wishes of their children but when it comes to their dreams we don't consider them. Because we don't want them to go through the difficult journey of achieving their dreams. We can't see them having sleepless nights, depressed faces, exhausted selves.How can we? We are parents after all! Also this is 21st century where miracles happen in minutes & disasters happen in seconds.

But...... in that odyssey, you people see the lows & highs of life, you face challenges and seek solutions on your own, you make and break relations, you will get to see everything in a new perspective, you understand the objective of life, totally you discover a new "you".

What I say is, "Youngsters has the right to dream and parents have the responsibility to push them.Stand behind them like a rock, become their spine and help them hold their heads high."