Chapter 9 - The Dark Arts

Vincent was currently in the middle of dripping a potion onto a toad when a knock came from the door to his hut. He opened it to find Neville with his schedule in front of him.

"Defence against the Dark Arts class is soon," Neville informed.

"Really? Lunch break is nearly over?" Vincent looked up at Neville with a raised brow. "Was I perhaps too focused on my experiments? Probably should get a watch..."

Neville shook his head. "No, your still fine, it's just that everyone's looking forward to Professor Moody's class, saw most of our class already making their way there now. I just thought that maybe you should know in case you want a good seat."

"Huh...thanks," Vincent nodded before giving an odd expression. "Did he really turn Malfoy into a ferret?"

Vincent had heard the details from Ron who couldn't stop himself from constantly mentioning it ever now and then, as if to remind himself so that he would never forget. Although Vincent was somewhat sceptical of the action, after hearing of Malfoy insulting the Weasleys, not to mention firing a spell at the trio with their backs turned, he decided that Malfoy deserved it one way or another.

"Well...Yeah, everyone pretty much saw it," Neville nodded. "He really does seem Mad doesn't he?"

"Well, at least someone is..." Vincent chuckled before seeing the confusion on Neville's face. "Get it?...People call me the mad scientist when I'm not really mad...Oh, forget it...Thought it was funny before I said it out loud..."

Neville looked around before spotting the toad croaking in the corner. A slight flash of panic crossed his face as he turned to Vincent. "What were you doing?"

"Oh...I was trying to create a non-harmful potion that works on contact," Vincent stressed the non-harmful part as he explained, making sure that Neville knew that the toad wasn't in danger. Vincent didn't want Neville fearing for his own toad, Trevors', safety. "Not like there aren't any that work on contact, but most of them are rather harmful. This one in particular is just an edited potion of my creation that allows people to walk on water without the need to consume it, although, it doesn't last for long which I already expected."

He properly placed the toad back into a tank filled with other toads, only, it just stood on top of the water, refusing to sink downwards. The toad, obviously confused, jumped around the surface a bit, only for it to sink on it's third jump.

"Potions that work on physical contact? What use is there to that?" Neville asked curiously.

"Remember second year when students were petrified," Vincent asked as Neville nodded fearfully. "Well, while there is indeed a cure for it through Mandrakes, I heard it was rather difficult to administer the cure to them through consumption. Although it was taken care of through magic, it did make me think that, in the case that a patient or such cannot consume a potion or any medication, that they could just apply it to the skin to receive it's effect instead."

Vincent could see Neville try his hardest to process the information and laughed, patting his friends back as he exited the hut. "Don't think to hard into it, it's just something that came to mind that's all...Come on, didn't you say that everyone's waiting for the next class?"

Vincent closed the door and locked it before calling around the side of the hut. "Hey Arnya, I'm about to head off! Just letting you know."

"Oh, how unfortunate," came Luna's voice as she appeared from the side with Ginny wheeling Arnya. "I was so sure I'd beat her in chess that time too. Hello there...Neville, how lovely it is to see you."

"Oh, uh, hey Luna, Ginny," Neville stuttered as he awkwardly gave a small wave, making Ginny giggle a bit.

"Hello again Neville, we did already greet each other this morning did we not?" Ginny smiled as Neville turned somewhat red from embarrassment for greeting her when he had already done so earlier on.