Chapter 6 - Teacher and Apprentice

"What happened with those two?" Vincent asked Harry, indicating to Ron and Hermione, noticing the tense atmosphere.

"They're arguing whether I'll die or not," Vincent raised an eyebrow, "Divination class, teacher saw a Grim, a black dog of death in my teapot, says I'll die, and now Ron and Hermione are arguing whether it's real or not."

Vincent glanced back at the two before asking Harry, "So what do you believe?"

"There's a lot of things that have wanted to kill me during the past few years," Harry said, "I've been pretty lucky so far. Maybe it'll run out, or maybe it won't."

"You'll be fine," Vincent reassured with Harry giving nod in thanks.

"Divinations always seemed a bit off to me," Arnya muttered making Hermione turn to her suddenly.

"I know right?!" Hermione agreed as she started speaking to Arnya with enthusiasm about the her views on Divination. Arnya looked to Vincent for help only for him to shrug with helplessness.

"She's just mad because the Professor there told her that she wasn't suited for it," Ron grumbled, "probably the first time she was told she wasn't good at something."

Vincent and Harry wisely chose not to say anything.

Hagrid was waiting outside his hut, looking nervous but also excited at the same time.

"C'mon, now, get a move on!" he called as the class approached, "Got a real treat for yeh today! Great lesson comin' up! Everyone here? Right, follow me!"

Hagrid strolled off around the edge of the trees, and five minutes later, they found themselves outside an empty paddock.

"Everyone gather 'round the fence here!" he called, "That's it—make sure yeh can see—now, firs' thing yeh'll want ter do is open yer books—"

"How?" said the cold, drawling voice of Draco Malfoy. Vincent sighed as he looked at the rest of the class, only now noticing Malfoy and the group of Slytherins.

"Eh?" said Hagrid.

"How do we open our books?" Malfoy repeated. He took out his copy of The Monster Book of Monsters, which he had bound shut with a length of rope. Other people took theirs out too; some, had belted their book shut; others had crammed them inside tight bags or clamped them together with binder clips.

"Hasn'—hasn' anyone bin able ter open their books?" said Hagrid, looking crestfallen.

The class all shook their heads before hearing a voice of amazement.

"Vincent, how'd you get yours open?" Hermione asked.

The rest of the class looked towards Vincent who blinked, "I pet it."

"..." The rest of the class turned speechless.

"It's like an animal so I pet it," Vincent said as he took Hermione book bound with tape and petted the sides. He then took the tape off making the book fall open, "didn't anyone else think of petting?"

"Who in their right minds would think of that?" Everyone thought as they silently repeated what Vincent did.

"Well it was suppos to be stroking the spine of the book, didn't know pettin works," Hagrid said thoughtfully.

"Oh, how silly we've all been!" Malfoy sneered, "We should have stroked them! Why didn't we guess!"

"I—I thought they were funny," Hagrid said uncertainly to Hermione.

"Oh, tremendously funny!" said Malfoy, "Really witty, giving us books that try and rip our hands off!"

"Shut up, Malfoy," said Harry quietly.