Chapter 10 - Christmas

"So, what's with the sword?" Vincent asked Sister An as they walked back to the orphanage, "I never knew you were a ninja."

Sister An had cast a hiding spell to avoid anyone from spotting the two of them. She smiled as she unsheathed her sword. It was a katana no bigger than Vincent's arm. It looked extremely plain and simple with no engravings on it whatsoever.

"Lumos," Vincent's eyes widened as the sword started glowing a bright light before going out, "Nox."

"It's just like Hagrid's umbrella," Vincent thought remembering Harry mentioning that Hagrid got expelled. He also mentioned that he suspected Hagrid's wand was remade into the umbrella, "but she's already got a wand."

"My brothers broken wand is embedded into this blade," she explained before sheathing the sword, "he died trying to stop a killer that was once his best friend, or so I'm told. I requested a wandmaker to implant my brother's broken wand into this since I studied sword play a long time ago."

"I'm sorry," Vincent said as they walked in silence.

"Enough about me," she said glaring at Vincent, "I've heard a lot about you from Dumbledore you know?"

"Um, Sister those were all accidents," Vincent said sweating a little.

"It doesn't change the fact that you created chaos the moment you stepped into the castle!" Sister An stopped talking, letting the silence drag on as well as Vincent's nerves. When what seemed like eternity of silence passed, Sister An continued talking, "It's Christmas you know."

"Don't worry," Vincent said, "I'll be there at the Orphanage tomorrow."

Sister An smiled as she knocked his head gently, Vincent smiled before frowning, " Has anyone been adopted yet?"

"John and Josh Are gone," Sister An said starting to frown, "Both were adopted last month, that leaves Nim alone again."

Vincent bit his lip as he thought of the small black-haired girl. Nim is the oldest in the orphanage now that all the others in her age group had gone. Throughout the four to five years, no one had adopted her. There were people that were interested, but they shied away after hearing of her family circumstances.

So, she could only watch as those she made friends with went away, never to return.

"We're back," Sister An said staring at the orphanage, "you should stay the night Vince."

"Sure," Vincent said nodding.

"Oh, how could I forget," she turned to Vincent, "where is that pixie I heard so much about?"

"She's back at Hogwarts," Vincent said setting his things down, "I wanted to prepare Nyx's living conditions while I'm here so she can come and go without being seen by muggles."

"Hm, good thinking," Sister An said throwing Vincent some blankets, "you know where the lounge is, I'm heading off to bed."

"Night Sister An," Vince said earning a wave in reply.

...

"Brother Vince!" Vincent woke up with as soon as something heavy landed on his stomach.

He gasped in pain before seeing Nim standing to the side looking down at him with a cheeky smile.

"That hurt Nim," Vincent groaned as he sat up, "you're not as small now."

"Heh, heh," Nim smiled as she gave him a hug, "Merry Christmas!"

Vincent couldn't help but smile and hugged back, "Merry Christmas Nim."

"So how was school?" Nim asked as she sat beside him, "Sister An told me you started going to school, that's why you were away."