Chapter 22 - Wormtail

"How do you get in these situations?!" Madam Pomfrey scolded Vincent who had his limbs wrapped in bandages. "Last year was a Basilisk, this year it's Dementors! Dumbledore was right, those things were nothing but trouble!"

Vincent could only smile wryly as he recalled his conversation with the Minister hours earlier. He made sure that his injuries was blamed on the Dementors, not Lupin. While he was sure Dumbledore knew what really happened, that man seems to always know everything, he was glad that everyone else there didn't question him any further than that. He didn't want Lupin to get fired from his job.

"Broken ribs, fractured legs, dislocated fingers, and that's not including all your cuts and bruises," Madam Pomfrey scurried about as she picked up a bucket full of Vincent's old bandages. "Even with my capabilities, it'll take a good while to make sure you get properly healed up. A boy at your age should take more care of himself."

"Thank you for healing me," Vincent tried to sit up, barely managing as he took a deep breath. Even that felt like a challenge to him at the moment.

"You can thank me by never coming here again," she scoffed. "Like that'll ever happen."

Vincent gave an embarrassed laugh as he looked out the window. After the everything that had happened, he felt like he could finally take a break.

Suddenly the door to the Hospital Wing slammed open as a messy, black haired man dressed in rags came in.

"VINCENT! I'm a free man!" Sirius yelled as he pumped his fists up into the air. "HALLELUJAH!!!"

"DON'T YELL IN THE HOSPITAL WING!" A bucket full of dirty bandages smashed into Sirius' head, sending him tumbling out the door.

"Sirius! You alright?" Harry's voice came from the doorway.

"Oh no, foams coming out of his mouth, we need to get him to a hospital!" Hermione's panicked voice exclaimed.

"Hermione, we are in a hospital!" Ron's exasperated voice sounded from the entrance.

Vincent winced as he watched. "That must have hurt."

...

"So you were working with Sirius the whole time?" Harry exclaimed with shock. "Why didn't you say anything?!"

Vincent looked to Sirius who had an ice pack to his head and sighed. "Honestly, I thought about it, but you guys...how do I put this, were a bit impulsive this year. I think that's the word."

Ron frowned. "What do you mean?"

Vincent raised and eyebrow. "Let's see, Ron with the whole incident with Scabbers, or Peter now that you know..."

Ron looked to the side guiltily.

"Hermione was working herself to death with her schedule and feeling hurt because of, again, the Scabbers incident, making her a bit more violent and unstable than usual."

Hermione's cheeks flushed red in embarrassment.

"And Harry, your pretty much the definition of impulsive."

"I'm not—" Harry began before Vincent cut him off.

"Past experience says otherwise," Vincent noticed Harry about to say something else and cut him off again. "Don't tell me you didn't once think to use the Marauders map to find him yourself."

Harry shut up.

"The point is, that even though I trust you guys, I didn't think I could tell without anyone of you making some sort of move by yourselves."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione all looked down with some shame and embarrassment. Vincent turned his head to the side. "But maybe, I just thought I could do it alone.So I was at fault as well. Sorry."