Book 3: The Cursed Children - Prologue

-1589 Romania-

Clang! Clang, clang!

"'Yawn,'" A large man scratched his shaved head as he watched two teens sparring in a grass plain, the moon hanging in the sky shining on all of them with a faint light.

One of them was a handsome young man, with black hair and slightly tanned skin. He swung his silver spear with great speed and ferocity as the girl in front of him deflected the blows with her two blood red short swords. His blood red eyes matched hers as he grinned, enjoying their bout as she two did the same.

She was a small, pale skinned lady whom had rather delicate features that made her look fragile. Despite that, she still struck back with equal, if not more, ferocity that didn't fit her small frame.

"Heads up Axel," muttered the large man from a distance as the young man disarmed the woman, sending one of her blades flying.

Axel could barely register as the moment she was disarmed of one of her blades, she used her other sword, which morphed from a straight to a curved blade, to lodge his spear into the ground before grabbing his arm with both hands. She threw him over his shoulder and into the ground hard.

Bang!

Axel coughed from the impact and opened his eyes to see the woman catch the disarmed sword and hold it to his throat with a smile. "That makes it my thousandth win, right, Axel?" 

Axel groaned as she held out her hand to help him. "You used an ability..."

"Never said we weren't allowed to," she grinned as he grasped her hand. She lifted him up and looked up at him. 

Their heights compared, she only reached Axels chest, making him look down whenever he talked to her. 

"Argh, I thought I could get you this time," Axel muttered as he grabbed his silver spear. He turned back to see her still staring at him. "What, do I have something on me?"

She snapped out of her daze at his words and shook her head. "...No, just that you've grown."

Axel noticed the slightly sad look and grinned. He put his arm around her shoulder making her yelp in surprise.

"What, jealous?" Axel's smile grew wider as she glared at him as her sword on the ground flew back into her hand. "Shorties like you could only look up to someone as great as me...?! Oi?!"

Axel ducked as a something red flashed over his head. He looked back to see her pointing her swords at him with killing intent. 

"...It was just a joke?" Axel held his hands out with a nervous grin.

They both stared at each other for a while before hearing footsteps coming their way.

"You two, stop messing around," the large man grunted as he stopped infront of them. "Axel, move back, it's my turn."

"Zwei! My hero!" Axel scrambled behind the large man and peeked his head out to see the girl still glaring at him. "Well, I'll be over there watching if you need me."

"Don't run—!" the girl's shout barely registered before Axel ran back. 

Zwei's blood red gauntlets and spiked balls manifested as he looked at Axel's back. "How was he today?"

"Even stronger than before," the girl muttered as she kept her eyes on Axel, no trace of her previous grievance with him remained in her blood red eyes. "In terms of skill alone, his better than any noble I know including you and me. If only he wasn't...you know."

"Hmph, he's still got a long way to go to be able to beat us," Zwei huffed, he turned to face the girl. "Let's begin."

"Let's," the girl spun her blades around as she faced Zwei.

Axel sat on a nearby hill, watching as his two friends clashed as he cleaned his silver spear. 

...

-1994 Romania-

Axel let out a long breath as he sat down cleaning his blood red spear. He heard groaning behind him. "You up yet?"

Behind him lay a large man with multiple holes in his body except his heart and head. As the holes healed Zwei, eyes blazing in anger got up groggily.

"How long?"

"Ten minutes," Axel cleaned off anything he could on the spear. "Geez, your version of stress relief is

Zwei could barely get to his feet as he staggered towards Axel, sitting beside him, looking up at the full moon.

"'It was a night just like this one' is what you were thinking right?" Zwei turned to Axel who was also looking up.

Zwei snorted as he ignored the question. "If your that powerful, how did you lose to that wizard?"

"Magic here, magic there," Axel shrugged. "Add in some skills in sword play and there you have it."

"Hmph, so if you were to fight her again, what would be the result?" Zwei asked.

"Who knows, we both weren't going all out," Axel said nonchalantly. 

Zwei sat in silent as he looked to the moon again. He got up and started walking away.

"Make sure you get someone to fill in those holes!" Axel called back.

Zwei took a glance at several craters he made in the fight against Axel and continued walking.

"Hey! Did you hear me?! I'm not responsible for all of that you know!" Axel kept watching as Zwei disappeared into the distance. 

"Well, ain't he all sunshine and rainbows, was worried there for a bit. Felt like he was going rip me apart first chance he got," Axel muttered as he got up. He looked up to the moon and sighed.

"I don't know what's going to happen," Axel hefted his spear over his shoulder. "But you'll be with me all the way..."

"Right, Mira?"