Chapter-13

We dropped Jongseong and were walking back home. At least I was. Soobin was just trailing behind me like a lost puppy.

I was just 2 blocks away from my apartment complex and Soobin was still following me. Confused, I turned to face him. He halted and tilted his head, eyeing me.

"Do you want something?"

"Yes"

"May I know what?" What can he want from me?

"You didn't thank me properly, Yeonjun"

That was a big lie. All the way to Jongseong's house, I kept saying thank you to him but he just ignored me and kept talking to the kid as if I didn't even exist.

"Thanks again Soobin. You saved my life today. I'm grateful to you"

He looked at me and sighed, "not like this"

"Then?"

"I want something from you Yeonjun"

"Go ahead"

He pointed towards a small kiosk down the street. "Accompany me to that shop will you?"

"I guess I can"

Without saying anything, he held my hand and dragged me to the place he pointed at. I would have jerked my hand away but surprisingly, I let him lead the way. I guess I could trust him.

We stood in front of a small bakery that didn't have any customers at the moment which was understandable because who eats pastries at 11 at night?

"Hello kids what would you like to get?" An elderly woman emerged from behind the counter with a sweet smile on her face.

"We will take 2 strawberry shortcakes, thank you," Soobin said. 2 cakes? Was he buying it for someone?

"That will be ₩11,000"

"Here. Please keep the change" he handed the old lady ₩15,000 and walked to a nearby table, with me following behind.

"Is it someone's birthday?" I asked

"Huh? Why would you say that?"

"You bought 2 cakes. I thought it's for someone's birthday"

Soobin studied my face briefly before responding, "You are kinda slow you know? I wonder how you score full marks all the time"

"Yah!"

The old lady returned with two pretty cakes decorated with fresh strawberries. She smiled before disappearing somewhere in the dark store.

"Eat," Soobin said, pushing one of the cakes in front of me.

"What? I can't it's not for me"

"Who said it's not for you? Now eat before I take it from you"

I shook my head, "I can't. I don't have enough money for this"

"It's my treat"

"I'm not eating. I can't repay you"

Soobin closed his eyes and sighed. He stayed silent for a moment or two before he looked me straight in the eyes and spoke up.

"I don't want you to pay me back okay?  I just want you to have something because you look like you haven't eaten in days, hyung. Why are you being so stubborn?"

I could see how his expression changed from cold and bored to worried and sad in a few seconds but what made me feel all mushy was the word he used to refer me. Hyung.