Chapter-14

Monday. That means the start of a new week. Something which I was dreading. Last night I came up with a bunch of excuses to tell my friends and teachers but as soon as I spotted Taehyun waiting at the crossroads, I knew that lying was not an option. I had to tell him the truth.

He had his earphones on and got startled when I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"HYUNG! YOU SCARED ME"

"Sorry about that" I nervously mumbled.

"No! Where were you? Do you know how worried I was? No calls no texts, nothing! And then suddenly after a week, you decide to call me but all you say is 'let's walk to school together' and then you refused to pick up your phone? Hyung we were scared that something might have happened to you! Why did you do that?" Taehyun took a breath, his eyes filled with anger and worry.

I can't blame him can I? What I did was pretty childish but how do I even explain to him that I might be dropping out? That I might have to go back to Busan if things don't work out?

"I'm sorry Tae" I said while playing with the hem of my shirt.

"Hyung I'm sorry for shouting earlier. I just lost it you know? You are like a brother to me and I-I really missed you" He was crying. He was crying because of me.

"Taehyun look I'm sorry. I'm here now. It's alright"

It took him 5 minutes to calm down before he asked me the question I was trying so hard to avoid.

"First tell me what exactly happened" his voice was stern but I could sense the worry. I had intended to not talk about my private matters but I didn't hesitate before telling him everything. I trust him.

"My parents visited me last Saturday. And you know when they visit, it's not something nice."

"Oh" he mumbled

"Don't worry, Tae. Everything is fine" I smiled a reassuring smile.

Taehyun didn't speak for a moment, his eyes fixed on the ground. He slowly brought his hands to hold mine and caressed their calloused and burnt skin with his smooth thumbs.

"Don't work too hard on yourself. Tell me if you need something hyung. Don't hide. You can ask for help you know?"

That's when I broke down. I stood in front of him and cried like a five-year-old. I didn't care about the looks passersby were giving me. I did not care about how pathetic I looked bawling my eyes out. I didn't care about anything at that moment.
I felt getting engulfed in Taehyun's warm embrace. It was comforting and I let myself get lost for a moment.

.
"You think I wouldn't figure out? I knew exactly what you were doing hyung."
We had reached the school gates just as  I finished the tale of my runaway.

"I'm really sorry, Tae. I didn't know how to tell you"

"Why are you apologizing hyung? It's no one's fault. Now we need to think of a way to get out of this financial crisis"

"I will think of something"

"How about asking...."

"No Tae. I'm not gonna ask Kai for money. I just can't."

"But.."

"No. I'll find a way." I smiled at him.

.
We were walking down the corridors towards our lockers when we heard a loud scream
"YEONJUN HYUNG!"

It was Heuning Kai. He was standing at the end of the corridor, bag slung across his shoulder. He was breathing sharply and his eyes were wide and filled with anger. Uh-oh. I've never seen Kai this angry before.

He bolted towards us. Towards me actually and tackled me down on the ground, pinning my arms over my head.

"WHERE WERE YOU? DO YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED I WAS? I SWEAR IF YOU HADN'T SHOWN UP TODAY I WOULD HAVE CALLED THE POLICE"

Students were watching us. They must be thinking that we were fighting but in reality, this was just Kai expressing his love and affection for me. It's his way of saying that he cares about me. Weird right?

"Kai I can't breathe" I tapped his shoulder but he won't listen.

"TELL ME HYUNG! WHERE WERE YOU?"

"Let him get up first then he will tell you," Taehyun said, detaching Kai from me. Finally I could breathe. God bless this child.

After Kai's anger had died down and the crowd of students dispersed, we huddled around my locker.

"So that's what happened. I'm sorry for not telling you earlier"

He didn't say anything for a moment. Just stared at me with a blank expression.

"I'm unhappy that you didn't tell us. Are we not trustworthy enough?" He said, barely audible.

"No, it's not like that. It's my problem and I didn't want you guys to worry about me that's all."

"You could've told us that you had some problems. We would have only helped you hyung"

"I know Kai and that's why I didn't. I don't want any help"

"Why? Are we not your best friends? Aren't we supposed to help each other when in need?" I know Kai was angry at me for not taking care of myself. I know why he was mad but this time, I had to deal with this issue on my own.

"Look Kai I can explain" but before I could say anything else, my homeroom teacher, Mr. Kim approached us.
The three of us bowed and I tried not to make eye contact with him. I completely forgot to notify him of my leave ahead of time. I was so screwed.

"Choi Yeonjun? Mind accompanying me to the staff room?" He addressed me, voice stern

"Yes sir"

With one last look at my friends, I followed my science teacher away from the classrooms, and towards the teacher's lounge. I knew I was gonna get scolded and the idea of explaining myself scared me.
Can this ground just swallow me already?

________________________________________

1K special~

Thank you so much everyone for reading my not-so-interesting book. I really appreciate you sticking around with me.

Also, thanks for 100+ votes! I'm sooo happy :)))

BTW next chapter will be Yeonjun's story so stay tuned.

I luv you guys <3