Chapter-40

No smut, sorry.

Time Skip: 2.5 months- November end

I was busy searching for the perfect gift for Soobin for our 1 year anniversary when the knock on my front door interrupted me.

As soon as I opened the door, I was met with 2 pairs of eyes that exactly resemble mine, looking at me. One of the pairs was full of love and warmth whereas the other one was emotionless, just like always.

My parents stood outside my apartment, waiting to be invited inside. They looked better than how they did the last time I met them. When was it? Last year?

"Yeonjun!" My mom hugged me tightly and I hugged her back. I know my family isn't the best but I still love her. Will always do.

"Hey, mom. Come in"

My mom walked inside with my father following behind her who refused to even look at me. I led them over to the couch and went to the kitchen to grab two glasses of water for them. I tried hard to think of a reason for their unannounced arrival at my place but I couldn't. They have no reason to be here when I made myself clear last time that I had no intentions of doing what they want me to do.

I hesitated before taking a seat across them after putting down their glasses.

"Son we came here to talk to you" my mum started, "first of all congratulations on getting into college. I'm so proud of you"

"Thanks, mom"

"Your dad and I have been thinking about this a lot recently actually and we ar-"
My mom was abruptly cut by my dad mid-sentence. "We are sorry. For everything" he refused to look directly at me, rather just stared at the floor.

"I don't understand" I was totally confused now.

"Listen, Yeonjun" he raised his head, and for the first time in a year, I looked into his dark orbs. "I am sorry for being such a bad dad to you. I'm sorry for not being able to give the necessary things you needed growing up. Please forgive me for never understanding how you felt. I'm sorry" he hung his head low.

I was stunned. I could not utter a single word. I would never want my dad to apologize for something which was not in his hands. Yes, he couldn't provide us with everything but that's okay. It's not his fault and I'm not mad about it. I can never be.

"Dad don't say that"

"No, I know how much studying means to you and I constantly asked you to come back just because I was incompetent in paying for your expenses. I can't believe I was trying to force you into a poor life like mine. I'm sorry" a tear trickled down his cheek and it broke my heart to see him like this. It must have been so hard for him to tell me how he was feeling considering that we barely ever had a conversation that lasted more than a minute.

"Don't say sorry. I am not mad at you. I can never be"

"Here is something for you" he took out a dark green notebook of some sort from his coat pocket and handed it to me. It read "XYZ Bank"

"What's this?" I flipped it open to find my name. "I don't understand"

"It's not much but please accept it."

It was a bank book that contained the dates of money deposited in this particular account. I flipped through the pages to find that my dad has been depositing money in this account for the past 19 years. Since the day I was born.
My eyes started to well up when I saw the amount. ₩100,000,000 (roughly around $80,000)

"I can't take this" I choked out.

"Yeonjun we have been saving for all these years just so you could one day live a better life. You are in college now. Move to a better place, make some friends, maybe find a girlfriend and go travel. I know the amount isn't that huge but-"

"It's a lot. I can't accept it" I looked at my mom and dad, and observed their faces for the first time. Since how long have they looked this old? Their faces had wrinkles and cheeks were hollow, skin sagging. I hated the way they looked. When was the last time I had a normal parent-son conversation with them? I hate myself for leaving them to rot alone like this.

My mom reached out her hand and wiped the tears that were falling out of my eyes.

"Why are you giving me this? Why don't you use this money to live a better life?"

"It's all for you. We don't need it. All we want is our son to be happy"

At that moment, I realized how selfless parents can be. All they want is for me to live a better life. I know it was hard for my dad to take care of me but he never showed it. I never saw him complain and I regret not being beside him when he was struggling.

"Dad..."

"It's okay Yeonjun. You deserve everything." He smiled at me. Today was the first time I saw him smile this genuinely. It suits him.

"And I never got the chance to tell you this but I invested our remaining savings in a business idea I had for some time now and it's booming. Now you don't have to worry about me working day and night."

"Really dad? No more labor work?"

"No, and I take weekends off and the profit is incredible. Finally, I can give your mom whatever she wants" he took my mom's hand and smiled at her. How beautiful it is to grow old with the person you love.

"Thanks dad. Thanks mom. I don't know what to say"

"You don't have to honey. We love you"

"I love you too"

.

After a while of catching up on each other's lives, my parents decided it was time to go back home.

I walked them to the door and my mom hugged me tightly.
"We will come to visit you again, our little doctor" she smiled and winked at me.

"Mom I still have so many years of studying left"

"I am so proud of you son"

Before they could leave, I held my mom's hand, stopping her in her tracks. "Mom, you remember how told me to get a girlfriend?"

"Yes, I do. Do you have someone?"

"Actually i-i have a boyfriend" Silence fell over for a second before my mom broke into the biggest smile I've ever seen. She wrapped her arms around me tightly and jumped in happiness.

"Really? You sneaky boy, when were you planning to tell us huh? Bring him along with you when you visit Busan. I want to meet him" she wiggled her eyebrows at me.

"I will, thanks for accepting"

"As long as he loves you and takes care of you, I'll accept him"

"Of course he does," I said before my mom hugged me once again and walked out. My dad who was just standing there watching me and my mom discuss my boyfriend, spoke up before walking after his wife.

"Tell him I'll break his bones if he even thinks about hurting you" he winked.

I chuckled to myself before closing the door and resuming my search for a perfect anniversary gift for Soobin.

_____________________________________

I almost forgot about Yeonjun's parents 🤡

Anyways, Yeonbin 1 year anniversary chapter is next so stay tuned. (Spoiler: it's spicy)

Thnx for reading. We hit 5K~