Chapter-16

Knock knock

"Can we come in?"

"Oh Namjoon yes yes"

Principal Kim was sitting on his desk, sipping a cup of coffee. He motioned for the two of us to sit down.

"Good morning, Sir"

"Good morning, Yeonjun" (Yeonjun is one of the toppers so all teachers and the principal know his name)

"Are you free right now?" Mr. Kim said.

"Yeah till recess. What's up?"

"We have a problem going on here and need your help"

"Go ahead"

"Choi Yeonjun", Mr. Kim motioned towards me, "he is going through a hard time and I was wondering if he could get school aid. You know what I mean"

Mr. Kim (the principal) looked at me for a second before diverting his attention back to Mr. Kim (science teacher)

"Namjoon can we talk for a second? Alone please?"

I got the hint and quickly stood up, bowed, and rushed to stand out. I wonder what they wanted to talk about.

.
15 minutes passed when I was finally called in. My insides were churning for some reason. What kind of aid was Mr. Kim talking about?

"You are here on a scholarship am I right Yeonjun?"

"Yes sir"

"Namjoon briefed me about your situation. I don't really know what I can do but I'll write to the board of directors."

"I don't understand"

Mr. Kim folded his hands in front of him and gave me a document to read.

"We have school funds for kids struggling financially. You already have a scholarship so it might be a bit difficult to apply for another one..."

"Seokjin please" Mr. Kim suddenly spoke up. "Please we have to help him. How can you let a kid work in such a dangerous place?"

Woah! Did Mr. Kim just call our Principal with his first name? I was expecting Mr. Kim to lash out at my science teacher for being this informal but what surprised me was how his eyes just softened, as if he wasn't offended a bit.

"Okay, Namjoon. I'll try my best. And yeonjun", he turned to look at me, "I'm really sorry to know what you went through. Trust me I'll do something to get you out okay?"

"Thank you sir" I bowed as low as possible.

"Namjoon tells me every day that you are a good kid. He was so worried when you didn't come to school." Mr. Kim was smiling. But not at me. He was looking at my homeroom teacher and smiling. "He really gets worried about his students. So as a good principal I am, I'll make sure you don't have to suffer"

"Thank you, sir. I don't know what to say"

"You can go back to class. Study hard okay?"

With the last bow, I exited the room and walked towards my classroom. I was feeling light-headed and for some reason, Mr. Kim's words made me hopeful. I felt as if something good was going to happen soon.

.
I was sitting on my desk, alone in the classroom, trying to finish as much as possible. Everyone was either out in the field or in the cafeteria eating. I was hungry but the work in front of me won't let me even think about other things.

I was writing my history essay when someone tapped on my shoulder. I looked up and saw a tall boy standing beside me. He pulled a chair and sat right in front of me.