Chapter-26

Soobin POV

Saturday came in the blink of an eye. I was satisfied with my practice but the nerves were increasing every second. I had to win this meet, no matter what.

My teammates and I, along with our coach, reached the sports gym an hour earlier. Our coach led us to the area assigned to us. There were various schools present, which just increased my anxiety. There were roughly 60 swimmers present for various events and looking at them made my breath hitch. My stomach didn't feel good and I wanted to throw up. Before I could lose my balance, I clutched Beomgyu's arm who was standing beside me, checking our event timings.

"Soob, you okay?"

"Yeah, just a bit nervous" I managed to say.

"Hey, take deep breaths, okay? You will be fine" Beomgyu knows about my nerves getting the best of me before any competition, and patted my back in an effort to calm me down. it helped. Somewhat.

My anxiety issues right before any championship started seven years ago. I still remember passing out after reaching the venue of my first ever meet. Despite my coach telling me again and again that I was an amazing swimmer, I couldn't help but think negatively. What if I fail to get a medal? Heck, what if I come last? These thoughts made me feel pathetic and weak. I dragged myself away from the rest of the team and sat on a stool at the back. I was up after 40 minutes. Hopefully, by then I would feel better.

.
Twenty minutes left before my first event and I was still shaking. The sound of whistles and water splashing was making me feel dizzy. I just wanted to go back home. The loud crowd of people cheering for their favorite swimmer was irritating my ears. I closed my eyes hoping to block out the noise. I couldn't breathe. I felt as if the air was leaving my body slowly. I was scared. Scared to face the water.
(a/n: this is exactly how I feel right before any championship. If you are an athlete, you will relate)  

A moment later I felt a hand on my shoulder. My eyes fluttered open and landed on the person I wanted to see the most. His presence in itself was calming enough and I slowly melted in his touch.

"Hi, Soobin. I hope I am not late"

"No, you are not. I still have 20 minutes left"

"Oh okay. Good luck, I'll be cheering for you" he said and turned to leave but before he could, I held his hand and stopped him from going anywhere. I needed him.

"Stay. Please" I whispered, as quietly as possible.

"Okay I will but are you sure am allowed here?" I just nodded in agreement and he took a seat beside me.

Yeonjun hyung didn't speak anything nor did I. I had my eyes shut and concentrated on my breathing. It helped. His presence helped. My heartbeat calmed down and I no longer had trouble focusing. 

.
"Soobin you are up for 50m freestyle sprint. I want you ready in three minutes." My coach came in and announced. Thankfully I was feeling much better.

"I'll wait for you here," Yeonjun hyung said.

"Thanks"

I picked up my swimming cap and goggles and got ready. I was ready to win this.

"Good luck. Do your best"

I turned to look at him and smiled before walking out. Yeah, I will win definitely. 

(a/n: I was literally shaking while writing this part. I felt as if it was me, facing my first ever sprint race)

First whistle

I stepped up on the one-meter high diving platform

Second whistle

I wore my goggles and tightened my cap