Chapter 48

It was the next afternoon, Charlotte wore her outfit and went to the Marquess Estate. It was visually smaller than the Duke estate but still looked grand.

A butler escorted her to the place where the ladies were gathered. Charlotte feels as if something's off, she takes a seat and they all start talking.

There were four ladies that sat at the table excluding herself. Lilith White, only daughter of Marquess White. Millie Melz and Moalle Melz, the daughters of Baron Melz. Penelope Ilst daughter of Viscount Ilst.

"Miss Charlotte, I've heard so much about you." Penelope said.

"Is that so?" Charlotte felt all the ladies staring at her. Thats when she realises that none of the ladies were drinking the tea, they were staring at her teacup. She knew right away that someone messed with the tea.

Do they think I'm a fool to fall for such old class tricks.

"Shall we have a toast for today's gathering?" Lilith announced.

They all nod and cling their tea cups then put them up to their mouths. Of course, none of them drank It. They all just stared at Charlotte, waiting for her demise.

Charlotte fake drank the tea and pretended to faint on the floor slowly. The four women stared at her with wicked smiles. They all closed up to face her. Suddenly, Charlotte opened her eyes and kicked the first person she saw. She stood up and started slapping the other ladies' till they fell to the ground. Afterwards, she brushed her hands in victory and warned.

"Your petty tricks won't work on me. Next time you ever try harming me. I won't guarantee you will live next time we cross paths. Oh, and also. If you ever mention this to anyone else, I'll take your heads. Thanks for the short tea party, ill get going now."

Charlotte walked away from the scene and hopped back onto the carriage.

"You're back miss?" The driver asked.

"Yeah, It's just a small meet up. Can you take me to the capital? I have to meet up with somebody else."

"Alright."

-

After arriving at the capital, Charlotte got out and saw Ain in the cake shop. She went in and sat,

"Sorry, I had to deal with some people."

"It's alright."

They ordered some cakes and macaroons along with some iced teas and chatted.

"I've been getting a lot of marriage proposals, they won't stop no matter how much I try to tell them i have a partner."

"Hmm. I see. Well, should we get married?"

"..." Charlotte dropped her fork and turned incredibly red.

"Hey, how are you gonna propose out of the blue like that. You don't even have a ring, plus I have standards for proposals!" Charlotte exclaimed angrily while embarrassed.

"Pft... Noted."

They changed their topic and continued talking about what they've been doing the past days. They were enjoying their conversation while people looked at the couple with envious eyes.

They ended their date with a delightful peck on the cheek. Charlotte returned back to the Duke Estate and rested for the night.

-

The next day the duke gathered them to have a family meeting.

"So?" Charlotte questioned with her legs crossed on the sofa.

"We received an invitation from the royal family. There will be a ball being held for the crown prince Elijah's time to take over the throne. The ball will be held two months from now. No one is allowed to miss it."

Charlotte just nodded, stood up and left the main living room to do her own things. They didn't need to rush since it's in two months after all.

Charlotte wanted to prepare early so she didn't need to do it last minute, she called a carriage to the capital and went dress shopping.

She ordered the most elegant and most eye pleasing dress she could find. The price wasn't a problem as she has the Duke's bank account backing her up.

It was a cornflower blue dress accompanied by a lace corset and beautiful sleeves. She also set up some butterfly earrings with white pins as accessories.

-

A week later Charlotte decides to visit Huston. Although, she never got Huston's address. However, she did remember that he was a noble. Huston Lorel, the son of a baron. She called over a carriage to the Lorel Estate.

It was a rather small building compared to others but it still looked cozy. She got off the carriage while standing in front of the building with a bag of desserts in her hand as a gift.

A butler came to her and escorted her into the building to meet Baron Lorel and Baroness Lorel. She apologised for the random visit and they called over Huston to the living room. Charlotte laid down the treats she brought and a conversation started.

"You must be Charlotte, we met before right?" The baroness asked.

"Aha, I remember. Thank you for letting me in madam."

"It's no problem, our son's friends are always welcomed."

-

"Hm, so why'd you come?" asked Huston.

"I mean I haven't seen you since graduation I thought I'd drop by to have a little chat with you."

His parents excused themselves to let Charlotte and Huston have their own time.

"Has your family been invited for the ball in two months?"

"Of course, every noble will attend and every citizen will watch."

"Hmm. I see. Have you thought about what you're gonna do since you graduated? I've already thought about it."

"I was invited by the royal knights, I mean it pays well so I probably will join. How are things going with Ain? Anything spicy happened?"

"Me and Ain are doing pretty well, he asked me to marry him out of the blue though."

Huston spat out his tea in shock, "What? You said yes right?"

"I have standards for proposals so I declined for now plus it was so sudden."

"You menace!"

"Shut up. You can't say nothing bout relationships when you're single yourself."

"I'll get a girlfriend eventually! Watch me!"

"Good luck buddy."

They had a nice chat and laughed for hours, after it was evening Charlotte waved to Huston and went back to the Duke Estate.