34

Dalia's POV

Vittore Martinelli was an anomaly.

He's honest... well as much as he could be, I'd defied him more times than I'm sure most have and I'm still breathing and I couldn't read him.

Right now, he knelt on one knee in front of me, one of his hands on my calf and the other on my thigh, twisting my leg to get a better view of the wound I'd professionally stitched. Everywhere his hands touched sent tingles through my body and it suddenly became a little too hot in here.

Goosebumps had risen on my skin and I hoped he didn't see them but with the way his body was tense, I'd say his mind was a little too preoccupied.

"We should get back to Faye," I said, wanting anything to get him away from me. I didn't like my body's response to his presence.

Vittore glanced up, his dark eyes meeting with my own and I was sure I had the most innocent look on my face despite the turmoil my body was in. He stood up and I was about to do the same when his hands came around the back of my legs and back. Vittore lifted me in his arms and I lopped one of my hands around his neck so I couldn't fall. The bloody fucker was tall!

"I can walk on my own thank you," I grumbled trying to get my feet on the ground again but Vittore held me closer making my stomach flutter and I did not like that.

"Either you let me take you like this or over my shoulder," the Italian mumbled.

I was taking my chances.

Wiggling in his grip again I tried to make my feet touch the floor but I think Vittore knew what was running through my mind because the next thing I knew, my body was twisting in his grasp until I found myself over his shoulder.

Vittore was careful not to damage my left side and I didn't know whether to be grateful or curse him out. The latter seemed like a better option. I rested my hands on the small of his muscular back that was hidden behind his dark articles of clothing. I made sure to avoid all contact with his... behind.

Vittore started walking and as we went down the hall, I pushed myself up so my hands rested on his back and tried sliding out of the grip he had around my legs. I wasn't some doll he could just throw around. My whole body dropped and surprise filled me when I felt a smack on my ass.

"Did you just-"

"Behave tesoro," Vittore grumbled.

"Oh you have the bloody nerve..." I continued to rant under my breath, cursing him out in a few chosen languages as we went back to the car but let my body hung limp because I did not want to get hit again. What I didn't understand is why I didn't mind it that much.

When we got to the car, Vittore opened the door and set me in the back and closed it. I looked up at Faye who had a secretive smile on her face.

"What?" I asked my eyes narrowing when her smile widened.

"Oh nothing," Faye said, turning back to the front just as Vittore got into the car. I fastened my seatbelt because you never know when anything can happen and Vittore drove out of the parking lot and onto the main road. I leaned against the window and looked out at the street as he drove.

"Where are we going?" Faye asked Vittore.

"The penthouse," he answered simply and Faye hummed, me the only one who was lost.

A dull ache had started in my head and I closed my eye to ease the pain. I tried not to think of it but since last night, after Faye had cut my luscious curls that I missed dearly, my hands and feet had gone cold.