80

I don't know who's eyes were wider, mine or Antonios. I backed away from him, my hands shaking. When I brought them up, I saw thick red and sticky blood coating my fingertips and staining my brown skin.

I looked up at Antonio before my body crumbled to the ground.

I rolled on my side, holding my stomach as my adrenaline wore down and pain descended on me and fast. I applied pressure and breathed through it all as Antonio slowly walked around me until his oxford loafers were right in my face.

"I didn't want to kill you you know. i planned to keep you. You can be useful and the fact you are my daughter... I guess it makes sense but you can't live. I made sure that child Angel had died and I will make sure you never get to see the light of day again."

I looked up and the gun was pointed at my head. Antonio pulled the trigger but it was empty. Seeing this, Antonio cursed and dropped the weapon on the floor and it clattered until it was right by my chest.

"You're lucky," my father mumbled as he squatted down, wrapping his large palm around my cheek and lifted my head up. "You know, you do look like your mother. Such a beautiful woman she is."

I felt sick as Antonio's eyes looked over my features. "I'll come to finish you off. I just have to take care of Vittore first. It was the whole point of this you know."

"No," I croaked out trying to get up. "You fucking bastard I'll bloody kill you if you touch him!"

Antonio smiled and watched me struggle, standing up only to kick me right in my back to keep me down. My breath rushed out of my lungs and I coughed, blood slipping through my lips. My heart rate sped up to a point where it hurt in my chest. I'd lost a lot of blood.

"Be grateful you little wrench. I might even let you see the body when he's gone," Antonio snarled and marched out fo the room without a word.

He was going to kill Vittore. God no. I couldn't let this happen. I looked at the gun on the floor. Slowly forcing my body to sit up, I held tightly to mu bullet wound. It had gone right through the vest and was still stuck in my body.

Grunting, I removed my hand for a split second, blood pooling in my clothes as I took off the bulletproof vest. It was just too much baggage on my shoulders. When I was left in just a black tee, I took in shaky breath and placed my hand back, applying as much pressure as I could. I noticed my blood wasn't the normal deep red. It was lighter, unhealthily lighter.

I ignored that.

I dug into the bulletproof vest I'd left on the floor for another gun. Once I got it, i placed it on my lap and removed the safety. I braced myself for a few seconds before getting to my knees and pulling myself to my feet and stumbling to the door, using the hand holding the gun to hold me up against the wall.

I looked down the hall and grunted, pushing my body to move. I stumbled drunkenly down the stairs, taking one at a time until I got to the bottom floor. The house was silent.

Too silent.

I used the wall for support as I walked faster, my hands still applying pressure to my bullet wound. Oh for fuck's sake where are they?!

I walked over dead bodies, blood and broken glass until i came to the front of the house to the balcony that oversaw the sea. The sky was brightening lightly, signaling the sun would be rising soon but my eyes caught the sight of two fighting figures at the shore.

"Vittore!" I gasped and turned, going down the balcony steps to the beach as fast as I could.

The fight wasn't fare. I could see blood running down Vittore's head and he favoured his left leg. There was a tear in his shirt at his stomach. He had been cut. I struggled to run through the sand, black dots dancing in my vision, dizziness making the world around me spin like crazy.

I fell to the ground, landing on my hands and knees but I breathed deeply, blinking to expel the wave of unease that rolled through me. My heart was thumping in my chest, the rate abnormal but I'd be damned if it stopped me now.

I lifted my gun and pointed. I let out a breath and tried to differentiate the two bodies.

I pulled the trigger, the force of the shot knocking me back on my back. I stared up at the brightening sky as silence stretched. It was broken by the thump of a body to the ground and footsteps coming my way.

I hope I didn't kill Vittore.

I never miss.

I never miss.

I never-

"Tesoro!" Vittore's yell made my body sag with relief. He was fine. I felt hands lift me up off the ground and grunted in pain when I was made to sit up. My body was immediately lowered and my head was laying on Vittore's shoulder.

He talked into the walkie talkie, something about someone finding us on the beach... I don't know.

"You're going to be ok tesoro, just hang in there," Vittore said, his voice strained as he placed his hand over the one that was holding my wound and applying more pressure. My eyes fluttered open and looked into his dark ones.

"I'm not going to make it," I chocked out and Vittore shook his head and his eyes teared up. "I'm sorry amore. I'm not-"

"You are fuck it tesoro you are going to make it ok?"

I shook my head. "Look.. look at my blood. It isn't exactly red you know. It's... it's blood deficiency anaemia. I.. I didn't want to tell you. I'm sorry I couldn't..."

"Shhh," Vittore urged, pulling a curl from my face, a tear dripping down his cheek. "It's ok. We'll make it through this tesoro. We have to."

"You'll make it through. I'm not sure about myself," I said softly as another tear went down Vittore's face. The sight itself broke me.

"You have to be ok tesoro. I promised I'd keep you safe. I fucking promised," his voice broke and his lips quivered but he tried to reign it in. He tried to be strong. Through the pain, I smiled.

"I love you," I said softly and Vittore shook his head.

"Don't say that now. You're fine. We'll be fine. We have to go on a date remember? That and many others like I said we would."

"I love you Vittore, I do. I don't want to die without you knowing that," I chocked and a tear slipped down my cheek. Vittore's hand left my other on the would and laced in my hair. The pressure was light but I knew what he wanted.

Leaning forward, I kissed him. It was every kiss we'd had and some more. All the lust, all the anger, all the care and of course... the hope.

"I love you and you can make it through anything Vittore. Don't give up. Not for me."

I didn't know what happened after that. Vittore said a few words, probably for me to keep my eyes open but they fluttered closed at their own accord. I was just so tired and so ready to move on.

The silence was unlike anything I'd ever experienced. It wasn't eerie. It was peaceful in a way I couldn't explain. I still felt my body, the way the cold went from the tips of my fingers, up my arm and from my toes to my waist.

I didn't expect for death to be so chilly but I embraced the cold.

I'd miss him.

My superman.

My Italian.