51

Why is this book so long? I thought it would be like 50 chapters. At this rate, we'll be in 70 if we're lucky.

*makes sure no one can see and begins typing* ┌(▀Ĺ̯▀)┐Let's do this.

Quintuple update btw.

51

Dalia's POV

I didn't know what it was about surviving an explosion that gave me an unfathomable thrill. I had seen lots of them, even caused two other explosions in my life but they were all tests at the safe house. The adrenaline I got from surviving the last one put more determination into my veins.

My goals were focused, my mind much clearer like I'd drunk a gallon of the world's strongest energy drink. I was on cloud nine but as the hours went by, my body had begun to drag. I guessed it was temporary because now sat at the dinner table, my head in my hands as I waited for Faye to bring Vittore down to eat.

We'd cooked mushroom risotto, some Italian dish that Faye had just taught me. She said we'd do lasagna next time which I looked forward to. The food looked great, the wonderful aroma and my stomach rumbled with the need to eat. I wondered what was taking Vittore and Faye so long.

I sighed, shifting in my seat but wincing when a muscle in my back pulled. The ache travelled through my body and I bit my lip to hold in a hiss. I did survive the blast but not in one piece. When I'd come back and talked to Vittore, I was still high on adrenaline and the ache was just a dull throb but now that I was relaxed, I wanted to lie down and scream into a pillow.

I was in so much pain but I didn't show Faye because she seemed so happy to see me and got so excited when she talked about cooking that I couldn't turn her down. I was wearing a hoodie because I'd seen my back in the mirror. It was bruised black and purple and honestly looked very ugly. It reminded me of the ones I got back at the safe house except then, I wasn't the only one injured and bruises were normal. It seemed so much more different now.

It wasn't even only my back. It was my sides, my thighs, my calf, all looking like the canvas of an angry painter. It was hard for dark skin like mine to bruise but my body didn't have enough iron, so wasn't be able to get the oxygen that it needed to function and that made my skin more susceptible to bruising.

Oh what it means to be anaemic.

I was still surprised how well my bullet wound had healed over time. It was now a scar but it was another to the hidden collection. I sighed and heard steps behind me and Faye arrived, sitting at the table.

"Vittore will be down in a second," she told me and I nodded. I wanted to talk to him anyway.

It must have been five minutes or so before Vittore descended the stairs, dressed in more comfortable attire than before. His eyes never left mine as he took a seat and Faye held out her hands.

"Hold hands everyone," she said softly, a blinding smile on her face. I joined hands with her and Vittore, my skin heating up and tingling where he touched.

"Well its just something small I like to do. After a huge mission together and everyone is back in one piece, we give thanks ok?" I nodded and Faye shifted in her seat. "Ok lets see... I'm thankful that Dalia came back alive from her mission and is here with us today."

I smiled softly and Faye nudged me to go next. "Uh.. I'm thankful that everything is going well so far."

I had no idea what to say so I'd go with that.

"Good. Vittore?"

Faye and I both turned to her son and he licked his lips, a motion my eyes followed. "I'm thankful for family."