☀︎︎𝑭𝑰𝑭𝑻𝒀☀︎︎

"𝑮𝒀𝑨𝑳𝑰𝑺"
SAVIOR | sav
SEPTEMBER
Atlanta 📍

I was fastening my mini me into his car seat, because Jia wanted a the house to herself for the day. I didn't mind. I was in the middle of a job search and I liked spending time with Mari.

We were making enough money with our online art website, but I wanted to reach out to some kids in my old hood and try to help out. I was gonna go up to the middle school and see how I could do that.

"You gotta show off when we get in there, Amias. Look all cute for the principal and all them people in there."

Mari laughed in response.

"Yup, just like that. Everybody wanna hire a nigga with a cute kid."

I knew what I wanted to do with my life now. I wanted to reach out to kids and help them get on the right track. I needed to be a role model that they could relate to, a role model that was once one of them.

I drove to my old middle school and got ready to present myself to them. I had taped to them a few days ago, but I wasn't supposed to be bringing my son.

When we got there, I picked him up and buttoned up his coat. It wasn't super cold outside, but Gee wanted him warm.

Being here brought back so many memories. I hadn't been here since Armani went to school here.

I went into the front office, "Is Principal Michaels here?" I asked the light skin lady at the front desk.

"Yea, one sec." She turned around. "Michaels! Can you come out here?"

Principal Michaels had been here for least twenty years. She was here to watch all of my brothers go through middle school.

"Oh! Look who it is!" She took her glasses off the top of her head to get a better look. "Sav got a kid and everything now, wow. What brings you by?"

I adjusted Mari in my arms, "I applied for a job here not too long ago to be the art teacher."

"Oh, I remember. Follow me."

Trying to contain my excitement, I followed her into the office.

"I just can't get over how you got a baby now, Sav. What's this cutie's name?"  She said as we sat down.

"His name is Samari."  And, he was getting a good
look at my future boss.

"Awe, that's adorable. Good for you. I see you have a bunch of rings on your fingers, does one of them happen to be a wedding ring?" She was using this as a way to catch up with one of her old students, but, as long as she gave me this job after, I was cool with it.

"Nah, not yet. Hopefully soon."

"Well, I wish you luck with that. Okay, so I know you want to be the art teacher here."

"Mhm."

"I've known you for many many years and you have always been an outstanding artist. Even if that was the only class that you'd show up to." She laughed. "But today's your lucky day, because our art teacher just moved to California. So, congrats on your new position!"

"Thank you so much, Michaels. This really means a lot to me like for real." I cheesed.

"No problem! We'll have you start next week on Tuesday. I can show you the room you'll be in, because I know you probably wanna decorate it yourself and settle in."

"Okay."

She guided me through the school, even though I knew this building like the back of my hand. The lay out was the same, but they had gotten more funding. It didn't look as run down as it used to.