31

Britt woke in bed alone. She frowned as she saw Iain wasn't in bed. He had still been off and distant with her. And she didn't know what she had done.

She made her way into the living room. Iain was sitting there. She sighed. "What's going on? You're being off with me. And I don't know what I've done wrong."

Iain sighed. "Nothing babe. I'm just having a few off days."

"You've been having off days since I went out with Leigh. Did you not want me to go?" She asked.

Iain rolled his eyes. "You're being silly now. And you know it."

"No. I'm not Iain. I just... you've been off with me. And it's doing my head in," she told him.

Iain stood up and walked off. Britt was sick and tired of how he was acting.

***
Britt went to work and smiled as Leigh walked towards her. She had been crying. "What's going on?"

"Poppy started nursery today. And she looked adorable," Leigh said as she showed Britt a photo on her phone.

Britt grinned and nodded. "She's so cute. Did Sam go?"

"Don't be daft. He FaceTimed her. But she didn't want to talk to him. He hasn't seen her in three weeks. Since before you watched her for me," Leigh said.

"What is it with the men in our lives? They're pigs."

"Agreed. What's going on with you and Iain? You seem to be having some issues."

Britt sighed. "Remember when we went out? He's been off with me ever since then. And he won't tell me what I've done. If he wasn't happy, then he should have told me," she told her.

***
Iain was sitting in the ambulance bay. He smiled as Leigh walked towards him. "You okay?"

"Yes. I want to know what the hell is going on with you and Britt? She said you've been an asshole with her since we went out. If the issue is she went out with me, then just say. If not, then what the hell is the problem?" She asked.

Iain rolled his eyes. "It's none of your business. What goes on with me and Britt is no ones business," he said.

"She's my best friend. So it is my business. What the hell is going on?"

"Back off. Focus on your life and your own relationship and back off out of mine."

***
Britt sat in the staffroom. Iain walked in. "I don't appreciate your best mate asking me what's going on in our relationship. Tell her to back off."

Britt turned to him. "Iain what the hell is going on? It's like you're pushing me away. If you I don't want us anymore then say. And I'll stay somewhere else."

"Course I want us. But I'm allowed to have off days. So back off."

Britt shook her head. "No. I'm not coming back tonight. You need to sort this. And until you do, I'm not going to come back."

Iain shrugged. "Fine then."

Britt watched as Iain walked off. She knew that there was something going on with him. But she had no idea that Iain was going through something that was going to change everything and leave him fighting for his life.