37

Britt knew how Iain had been discharged. But he hadn't returned to their home. He was staying with Gem. Britt didn't know how to deal with everything that was going on.

She knew how he had been through a lot. But it hasn't been a picnic for her either. Especially as she was looking after Lillie on her own.

Iain hadn't even asked to see her. And it was getting harder looking at her daughter knowing Iain wasn't interested anymore.

All she knew was that her whole head was a mess. And she didn't know where she stood with Iain. Where Lillie came into things.

Morning came and so Britt found herself sitting in a cafe with Leigh. Leigh looked to her and smiled. "I can't believe he hasn't asked to see Lillie. I bet she's missing him."

"She is. And I don't know what I can say to her. I'm just... I'm not going to do this. I know he's been through so much. But I don't know how much more I'm willing to do for him," Britt admitted.

Leigh nodded and sighed. "I know it's hard. But you know you can always talk to me. I'll always be here for you too. Both you and Lillie."

"Thanks Leigh. It means a lot. How's it going with Sam?"

"Let's just say you're lucky that I'm awake. We were awake most of last night having sex. And I'm sore as hell."

Britt smirked. "Yeah I did notice you walking with a limp. Must have been good," she said.

"I will never tell," Leigh said.

***
The two of them went into work. Iain walked over and picked up Lillie. He said nothing to Britt as he walked off.

Britt turned to Leigh who had a look on her face. "You see what I mean?"

"Why did he take her and not say anything to you?" Leigh asked as she looked to her.

Britt shrugged and sighed. "I don't know. But he's not getting away with that. He cannot just pick my daughter up and walk off with her."

Leigh smiled. "You can't let him act like this."

***
Britt was stood by reception. She looked up as Gem walked over. "Iain wants me to tell you that he's keeping Lillie tonight."

Britt raised her eyebrows. She sighed. "If he wants to keep my daughter, he has to talk to me himself. And not send you."

"I'm his sister. So if I want to pass on a message for him, I will. Just leave him alone," Gem said.

Britt rolled her eyes. She looked to her. "You don't tell me what to do. You're nothing to me. So forgive me if I won't listen to you," she said.

***
Britt walked into the ambulance bay where Iain was slowly getting back into work. She looked to him. "If you want to say anything to me, say it. Don't send your sister."

Iain turned to face her. He looked to her. "Who are you talking to like that?"

"You. Because you've ignored me for weeks. I haven't done anything to you," Britt said.

Iain scoffed. He looked to her and sighed. "I'm keeping Lillie tonight. I want to spend time with her," he said as he turned and walked off.

But could Iain and Britt go back to how things used to be?