18

Iain stood on the ED at reception and sighed to himself as he sent Britt a text and frowned. She was meant to be meeting him with Lillie so that they could go home. Iain looked around and sighed and watched as a trolley was rushed past him and he didn't take any notice. He tried to his phone again "Britt, where are you " he asked as he left her a voicemail as he heard the sound of crying and turned around and frowned as he saw Connie who held Lille and paled as he looked to her. He walked over and grabbed his daughter from her "what happened?" He asked as Connie looked to the trolley that had been rushed into resus as Iain looked and paled as he saw Britt lying there and bleeding out. He hadn't notice her be rushed past him "Britt Roberts, twenty four, gun shot to chest approximately ten minutes ago. She's lost a lot of blood" Dylan said as everyone attempted to safe her.

Iain looked on in horror as he held Lillie and attempted to settle her. He knew that Lillie knew that something was up. Leigh walked over and frowned as she saw Britt who lay unconscious in resus "why happened?" She asked as Iain looked to her and sighed "I don't know, I was waiting for her and I didn't see her get rushed past, I think it's Rita. She's been swearing that she would hurt her but I can't prove it" Iain said as Leigh took Lillie and smiled "why don't I take her back to the crèche while we wait on news, it's Britt and she's strong and you know it. She's a fighter" Leigh said as Iain looked to her and nodded as he kissed lillies forehead and smiled as Leigh walked off to the crèche with her.

***

Later, during the shift. Iain stood waiting nervously as he paced down the hall and looked to see Leigh as she walked over to him and smiled "Leigh is going to be fine and you know it, you love her and you need to stay strong for Lillie and not give up. She's going to be fine" Leigh said as Iain sat on the seats in the waiting room and sighed as he ran his hands through his hair and smiled "I love her so much and I can't loose her, this is my fault" Iain said as Leigh placed a hand on top of his and smiled "no, it's not" Leigh said as Iain wiped the tears from his eyes and sighed.

***

Iain looked as the surgeon walked out as he stood up and looked to him "is she okay?" Iain asked as the surgeon looked to him and sighed "I've removed the bullet and it's graced her heart, she lost a lot of blood and is going to need a transfusion" he said as Iain nodded "what aren't you telling us?" Leigh asked as she stood next to Iain as the surgeon looked to them and sighed "I can't say for certain but there may be a strong possibility that Britt will never wake again" he said as Iain looked to him and shock his head as he started to cry "no" he said as he fell to the floor and pulled his knees to his chest as he ran his hands through his hair as Leigh hugged him "I cant...I can't loose her. She's my world" Iain sobbed as Leigh stopped herself from crying and nodded "I know" Leigh said as they both worried that they were about to loose Britt.