34

Britt ran into the hospital. Leigh was with Lillie. She was running through the corridors. She looked to Connie. "Is he okay? Is he dead?" She asked.

"He's stable for now. It's touch and go. He has taken an overdose and it's not looking good. But for now, he is stable," Connie said as she looked at her.

Britt felt a tear slip down her cheeks. She looked to Charlie who took her hand. "He's going to be okay. I promise you."

"Okay. I need to call Leigh. She's got Lillie. So I need to ask if she can take her to her place," she said.

Connie nodded and smiled. She walked back off into Iain's room.

***
Britt looked up as Leigh walked towards her. "Lillie is with my mum. They're watching Disney movies. I thought I'd come and see how you're doing."

"He tried to kill himself... like what the hell happened for him to want to do that?" She said.

Leigh held her close. She smiled. "He's going to be okay. I promise."

Britt sighed. "He took an overdose. No one is telling me anything. All they're saying is that He's going to be okay. If that was the case, why can't I see him?!" She yelled.

Leigh held her and sighed. "I don't know babes. But he will be okay. He has to. You have Lillie together. I'm trusting he will be fine."

"Really?"

"Yes. Iain is a stubborn sod. Therefore he's going to be okay."

***
Britt was sitting outside of Iain's room. No one was letting her see him. And she didn't know why.

All Britt knew was that she was getting annoyed with it all. She just wanted to see him and to know he was okay.

Charlie handed her a cup of water. He smiled. "Here. It's what you need. You need to keep your energy up," he told her as he kissed the top of her head.

"Why isn't anyone letting me see him? It's how I know that there's something wrong with him. No one is letting me see him... I don't know how he's doing," Britt sobbed.

Charlie let her cry into his shoulder. He knew how she was feeling. He knew that the whole ED was worried about him. "Iain is tough. He's going to be okay."

"Is he?"

"Yes. I know he is. He's a tough lad. And this will only make him stronger. You know that right?" Charlie told her.

Britt wiped away her tears. Connie came out. "We have to take him for surgery. The overdose... it's affected his heart."

Britt felt the remaining colour leave her. She looked to Charlie. "He's going to die?" She asked.

"No. He's going to be okay. I promise you."

Connie took her hand. "We'll come and find you when we know more," she said as she walked off.

***
Britt looked up as Leigh walked towards her again. "My mum said she'll have Lillie tonight. She knows I need to be here with you."

Britt nodded. She sobbed into Leigh's shoulder as Leigh held her close. She knew how close she was coming to losing Iain. But would he survive all of this?

And even if he did, would he survive it mentally?