39

Britt knew how things had turned hostile between her and Iain. She hated that. They weren't talking at all.

They barely talked about Lillie's which hurt her more than she was willing to admit. She never wanted to let on how she felt about things.

She knew that Iain was pissed that she had changed the daycare for Lillie. Britt knew she didn't want Gem near her daughter.

She didn't trust her at all. Which made things so much harder for her and Iain. He did trust his sister. Which made her feel as though he was working against her in keeping their daughter safe.

Britt knew Iain loved Lillie. She was their little girl. But it was so hard at times. She hated being a single mum.

It was mainly at night when she got lonely. She missed having Iain around her. But she couldn't risk Gem causing trouble and Lillie potentially getting hurt.

She knew that Iain hadn't seen Lillie since she had told him that Gem couldn't see her. Part of her felt bad.

She wanted Iain to have a relationship with their daughter. But Gem seemingly had a hold on him. It was like she didn't want him seeing her.

All she knew was that things were hard. And she hated how she felt so alone. But she couldn't give Iain a chance until he had sorted Gem out.

Morning came all too quick for her. She sighed as she saw Lillie asleep. She smiled knowing how Lillie was her comfort.

Lillie opened her eyes and giggled. Britt held her close. "Oh my girl. You'll never not know how much mummy would do anything for you."

"Daddy?"

Britt sighed. She knew how it was hard for Lillie. She didn't understand at all. She felt as though Lillie felt like her daddy had just left her.

"Daddy is busy baby. But he will see you soon. Mummy promises," she told her as she kissed her head.

Lillie giggled as she looked to her. "Sleepy mummy."

"Yeah. Mummy is sleepy. But she has to work. To get money for her beautiful little girl."

***
Britt went into work. She saw Leigh and walked over to her. "Lillie keeps asking for Iain. And I don't know what to say to her. My head feels so messy," she said.

Leigh smiled. "Well he's here. With that poisonous little bitch. She tried hitting on Sam. I could have slapped her."

Britt sighed. She didn't know what to do. She felt bad for keeping Lillie from Iain. But she honestly didn't want her daughter around Gem.

"If I were you, I'd go talk to Iain. Gem is doing something. So it's your best chance," she told her.

Britt knew how Leigh was right. But she was worried about talking to Iain. She just knew she needed to do it.

***
Iain sat in the ambulance bay. He looked up as Britt walked over. He sighed. "If you've come to start," he said.

"I haven't. Look. Lillie misses you. Maybe you could come and see her tonight?" Britt asked.

Iain just nodded. He didn't know how to tell Britt he knew that she had been sleeping with someone else. "Who's this guy you've had around our little girl?"

"What?"

Iain nodded. "Yeah. I've been told you've got a new man. I hope you're not screwing him while Lillie is there," he said.

Britt frowned. She had no idea where Iain had gotten this from. But it was a lie. She knew Gem had to have something to do with it. She just didn't know how to prove it?

Would she ever be able to prove that Gem was trying to ruin her and Iain?