💮Chapter 31💮: Midnight chat.

I cracked my tired eyes opened. The bright light was penetrating my eyes and it was somehow affecting my sleep. I felt someone's hand holding mine and I felt the warm breath on my hand. It took a while for my blurry vision to be clear.

  When it was, I saw Dure, holding my hands and blowing his breath on it so that it could be warm. The heat coming from the fire was comforting and I discovered that the bright light was from the fire.

  "You're awake?" He spoke into my hands, then blew on them again. I said nothing but smiled, gently taking my hands from him and seating up.

  He covered my body with a blanket also covered with brown fur and stood up.

  "Where are you going?" I asked him, when I saw him stand up. He said nothing and walked into the kitchen.

  "Take this". He said, handing over to me a green mug which had steam coming out from the surface.

  "What is this?" I asked him, as I collected the mug from him. He didn't reply me, all he did was have his seat beside me. His elbow resting on his knees and his fingers crossed under his chin, as he looked into the fire. His hair was covered with a beanie hat and I couldn't see his expression because of his hair which covered half of his face.

  I looked into the cup and saw it was coffee. It smelt just like the local coffee. I took a sip out of the coffee. It tasted great.

  "Thanks" I said in almost a whisper as I took another sip from the coffee.

"Careful with that". He said, then he went silent again.

"What about Mary?" I asked him.

  "She's asleep. Almost died of worry because of you" He replied.

  "Oh" was all I could respond with. Everywhere was silent. All that could be heard in the room was my sipping of the coffee and the burning of the firewood. When I was done with the coffee, I dropped the empty cup on the floor, next to the couch.

  "Thank you for finding me...For a moment I thought I will die". I whispered.

   "When you knew that, why did you dare it?" He asked me.

  "I didn't know I would get lost. I wanted to pick up some dry woods that's all". I explained as I turned to look at him.

  "Nora, you know how this place is dangerous at night, when you saw the sun was going down, you shouldn't have gone out". He explained, as he turned to look at me. Our eyes seemed to lock and all I could see was his worried eyes.

  "I'm sorry for getting you worried. Please, do forgive me". I said honestly.

  "Sorry?" He was behaving like he heard me wrong and I knew quite well that he heard me.

    I kept silent and just looked at me while he looked at me too. When he noticed that I wasn't going to say anything at all, he sat up, crossed his arms and looked at me more intensely.

  "Why the look?" I had to ask when I couldn't stand his stares.

  "You've changed, Nora". He commented which rendered me speechless. Then when the stares was getting too much, I giggled from embarrassment. Then the giggle turned to a chuckle and then a full blown laughter which seemed to affect Dure too. We laughed for a long time, then we stopped for a while, looked at each other and started again.

  The funny thing about this was that none of us knew why we were laughing, which made it more funny for us.

  "Why wouldn't I change?... You pratically brought me to a town no one knows me. When I tried bossing around one of the market sellers, I got hit in the face. Just remembering how her hand landed on my face is traumatizing for me". I told him and he laughed harder.