beheaded part 2 - m.f

2705 words

part 2, tw: death

-

"did ye hear? fairchild was seen toying with the mayor's wife last night?"

"ay, is that so?"

"heard it with my own ears."

"from who?"

miles couldn't listen any longer, he quickly ran through the town of sleepy hollow, hopping on his horse and exiting the site immediately.

so it was two drunk men at a tavern, conversating about his night with y/n. they could easily forget about it in a couple hours, or they could tell the whole town and get miles executed.

his mind was bubbling with thoughts. miles fairchild was afraid.

he needed to get things off of his chest. he needed a trusted friend that wasn't his horse or y/n.

he needed to open his heart to someone who presumably cared about him.

only miles would find out soon, that opening his heart to peter quint was a big mistake.

he burst into quint's little shack out in the woods, heavily panting and wiping sweat off of his forehead.

quint didn't look shocked to see a fellow trooper trespass into his house, looks to be as if he was making something in the kitchen and simply nodded at miles' existence.

"quint." miles urgently greeted.

"miles?"

"can you keep a secret?"

-

"and that's when i saw a figure... behind the bush." miles paced around the room as he finished recalling the night before.

quint harshly set his drink down, "who was it?"

"i don't know, it was a figure. it was too dark but it looked to be either a person or a big animal."

miles sighed, "but now..."

"but what?"

"i heard a couple men at the tavern talking about it. someone must've seen, and now they're passing it on through out town like it's some trade."

miles thickly gulped, "it's going to pass by the mayor, and then i'll... you know what'll happen. i- i need your help."

miles knew quint was a mysterious man. always tried to take the young man under his wing for his stupid drunk lessons that miles never really cared for. he claimed he was in touch with spirits among another realm, miles always just thought he was crazy.

quint shrugged, "miles, with all honesty, the best thing you can do is leave. leave sleepy hollow, forget about everything, including her. i mean, she was just a dalliance, no?"

miles frowned, avoiding eye contact.

he becomes teary eyed, he croaked out, "and if it wasn't?"