Timelines

"The echoes of my ancient past keep flooding into every pore, like scattered seeds of sycamore. Suddenly I started wondering how I got here. Was it a matter of time?"

"Riley. What are you doing here? So..early?"

"Practice ended early. I saw Hayley walking home so I gave her a ride and decided to check up on you. But guess you were just tired enough to miss my practice."

He signals me to sit next to him. Obviously wanting on explanation.

"Listen Riley, truth is I just needed an off day from your practice."

"You didn't go yesterday." He says.

Damn. He's right. Guess I have to tell him now or never.

"Yeah well um...today I sort of had plans? With a friend."

"A friend? Why didn't you just tell me silly."

He seems alright about it...for now. I don't know if Riley will get jealous if I told him with who. Come to think of it, I don't even think he has a jealous side. So this should be easy...I hope.

"I don't know. Thought you'd be upset?"

He chuckles. "Why would I be upset?"

"Well because-"

Before I can even tell him, the door opens.

"We're home." My mom calls out.

Right after, Auggie and Alexa come running into the living room.

"SKYE! SKYE! IS IT TRUE?!"

"What Auggie?" I ask.

"JOHNNIE'S HERE?! WHERE IS HE?! I MISSED HIM!!"

Crap I forgot to tell Alexa to keep quiet.

"Johnnie? Who's Johnnie?" Riley asks.

"SKYE'S EX BOYFRIEND!"

"MOM!" I call out. The twins are making things bad enough as it is.

"Guys come over here!" My mom calls out from the kitchen.

"WE JUST WANT TO KNOW WHERE'S JOHNNIE!"

"Johnnie?" My mom sounds surprised.

"OKAY!" Obviously everything is just getting worse. "Let's just go upstairs Riley."

Riley doesn't look too happy as he follows me to my room. Once we get to my room I close the door behind me and Riley sits down on my bed.

"Okay Skye. What is going on? Who is this ex of yours that everyone's crazy about? Johnnie? Is that who you hung out with?"

I nod as I sit next to him on my bed.

"What's the deal?" He's referring to our promise

"Never keep anything from each other." I mumble.

When we started going out, we swore to be 100% honest with each other and never keep any secrets. Which is kind of the reason why we've been together all this time.

"So why didn't you tell me?"

"We don't talk about exes, remember?"

Also part of the deal.

"Not that. Why didn't you tell me you were going to hang out with...him?"

"Cause...I didn't know how you'll react. Me hanging out with him. I don't know I just kinda freaked out. Cause it was so sudden." I confess.