The First Girl

Newt was lying in his hammock, thinking. He hadn't slept much that night. He had been awake, constantly worrying a lot about his friends stuck in the Maze. Even Thomas too. He couldn't understand why Thomas would just run in there like that knowing full well that he would be trapped in there too.

Whether it was bravery or stupidity, he could not understand. Reaching inside his collar, he pulled out a long rope pendant attached to a donut shaped rock which was green. Engraved on it was the letters N + T. It must of meant the initial of his name and someone else's. But who's? That he didn't know.

He pulled out another necklace. It was a golden chain with half a heart which had the word brother engraved along the side. Looking at it reformed a deep void in his heart. He had loved one who he was so desperate to find, to love again.

"Newt!" a sudden voice rung in his ears.

Quickly Newt stuffed the pendants back behind his collar. He turned his head and saw Chuck rushing up to him. He looked quite petrified.

"What is it Chuck?" he swung his legs over the side and sat up.

"Have you seen Edward? I can't find him anywhere! He wasn't in his hammock! I've looked everywhere!"

"What?!" Newt immediately stood up. "Guys!" he cupped his hands over his lips. "Wake up!"

His loud shouts made everyone wake up. Some groaned. Some fell out of their hammocks.

"What is it Newt?" Gally complained angrily.

"Edward isn't in his hammock!" He announced.

Everyone gasped.

"I want you all to check the forests, the huts...everywhere!"

Instantly everyone rushed off in different directions. Gally however was slower, considering he hated the newbie.

"Chuck, are you sure you looked everywhere?" Newt asked.

"Yes! I've checked the tower and even near the Maze gates! He's not there!" Chuck looked rather scared.

"Don't worry Chuck," Newt clasped his shoulder. "We'll find him!"

"Guys!" Frypan's shrill shrieks made them turn to watch him frantically sprint to them. "You've gotta come see this!"

He brought them over to a section of the massive stone walls on which long vines of ivy snaked down.

"What about it Frypan?" Newt asked.

"Look!" Frypan pointed to a large pile of vines and leaves that fallen. "And look at this too!" he pointed to some muddy footprints just in clear view of them.

Chuck raised his head looking higher and higher up. "I think..." he breathed hoarsely.

Newt turned to him, denial covering his expressions.

"I think he climbed up,"

"There's no way he could have climbed up!" Newt retorted. "Not with a wounded hand and at such a high height. I mean where would he even go from there?"

"Newt! You see the signs!" Frypan exclaimed Chuck. "All those vines that had fallen down, those footprints! How could those vines had fallen down unless someone climbed up them?"

Newt wanted to deny the estimation again when Gally and some other Gladers including Zart and Winston came running up to them.

"There's no sign of him Newt," Winston said.

"We've looked everywhere," said Zart.

"It seems our Greenie here didn't listen and just stupidly close to climb up," Gally crossed his arms and looked up. "He's more stupid than he looks,"