Alby Remembers

The brothers were rather awestruck by Teresa's words. 

"Why does he want to see just us?" Thomas asked.

"I don't know," the raven-haired girl answered. 

Giving each other a glance, the brothers knew exactly what their next step would be. Linking hands, they walked towards the medical hut with the others following behind them. They entered through the hut, finding Alby sitting with his back turned towards them. He had a bandaged chest and he wore no shirt. 

Casting a glance back at everyone who remained standing outside, the pair saw motivated expressions. Gally, however, gave the I'm watching you a glare, pointing his fingers from his eyes right towards Edward. 

Edward just glared back at him before he allowed his brother to pull him towards Alby. 

As they approached the Glade leader, the brothers noticed that there was something different, something strange about Alby. He didn't turn to them so they circled and sat on the bed opposite him. 

"Alby...are...you okay?" Edward asked.

Alby looked up at them. He didn't answer. Instead, his cold but slightly tearful stare set tingles running down their spines. 

"We think we might have found a way out," Thomas said. "We could be getting out of here,"

"We can't leave," Alby spoke up at once. "They won't let us,"

Thomas and Edward were shocked by his words. 

"Who's 'they?" Edward asked. "What are you talking about?" 

"They've been doing this to us for years. They were keeping us hidden away. We were their only means of survival. I remember the Flare, everything it did," 

"Alby, you're not making any sense. Why are you saying all this?" Thomas asked. "What's the Flare?" 

"I remember things. And I remember you two," Alby's stare became colder. 

The brothers were heart-struck.

"You two were always their favourites. They always doted on you. She always favoured you,"

Paralysed as they were by his words, the brothers were so confused by his words. "Who's she?" Edward asked. "Alby...what are you trying to tell us?"

"Why did you two do this to us? Why did you come here?" Alby's questions sounded heartbreaking. 

Thomas and Edward wished they could unheard everything he was seeing. 

"You did this...to me..." Alby raised a finger and pointed it at Edward. "You made them...and you..." he shifted it to Thomas. "You made this prison...you caused all this!"  

Suddenly as if on instinct, he leapt forward and clasped Thomas's neck, roughly pinning him to the bed. 

"Thomas!" Edward shouted. He tried to pull Alby off him. "Let go of him! Newt! Teresa! Someone help!"

Abruptly Teresa and Newt came rushing into the room. They saw the commotion.

"Alby!" Newt rushed to help Edward pull Alby off Thomas who was struggling to breathe as the rough's fingers of Alby's strong hands clasped around his breathing tube. "Teresa! Get his legs!"

Teresa grabbed Alby's legs and heaved with all her might. 

With a combined effort, Edward and Newt pulled Alby off Thomas. They pushed Alby back onto the bed, just as more boys came barging in to help Newt whilst Edward and Teresa checked on Thomas who's neck was now marked with painful nail marks.