A Possible Way Out

Thomas's eyes flickered open. Peering up through the bamboo gate, he saw daylight. It was still quite an early hour, the perfect time to head out and see what strange secrets they may find in Section 7 if they were to find a way out. 

He felt Edward's head still resting against his shoulder. He smiled warmly at his little brother sleeping beside him. Just then his ear drums heard gentle snoring. Carefully lifting Edward's head off his shoulder and resting him against a stone wall, he leaned up and saw Newt sleeping right near them. 

"Newt?" he asked.

Newt jolted up, shaking his head. He saw Thomas's head poking through the bars to look at him.

"What you doing here?"

"I just popped by to check on you and Edward after Teresa took watch over Alby. Must have fallen asleep," he rubbed his eyes. 

"You were checking on us?"

"Just to make sure you weren't uncomfortable. I'm quite surprised Chuck sneaked over some food," he eyed through the bars at the empty bread bag and canister. 

"Don't be mad at Chuck," Thomas implored.

"I won't,"

Before their conversation could continue, Edward was shaking a little as he sat up. He yawned.

"Good morning...little brother," Thomas joked.

"I don't you not to call me that," Edward tiredly complained earning a laugh from both Newt and his brother. "What are you doing here Newt?"

"Just checking you guys out,"

"And he slept right at the door," Thomas added in. 

"Tommy!" Newt complained. But Edward just chuckled a bit. 

Right after that Mihno appeared. "Ah ha! See Newt's the first one to catch you Shanks up. You guys sure you don't wanna sit this one out?"

"Get us out," Edward requested. 

The brothers were released from the Pit and pulled out. They walked over to the Runner's hut with Minho to prepare themselves whilst Newt stayed where he was eying them carefully. 

Minho went over to a huge box and pulled out some leather vests and fingerless gloves. "Put these on,"

Thomas took the first one and pulled his on. "How do I look?"

Edward looked at him. "Looks a little tight. But you're fit enough,"

"Thank you. I'm just goanna walk a bit outside," he began to waddle away a bit. 

"Don't waste too much energy," Minho advised before he disappeared out.  

Whilst the Keeper of the Runners was busy organising some food in a pack and packing the device they found the other night, Edward noticed a small wooden box on the table. Walking over to it, he nosily opened the lid and saw a silver heart necklace. He picked it up. 

"Hey!" Minho shouted stomping up to hi suddenly. "Don't touch that!" he snatched that. 

"Sorry," Edward spat back, a little apologetically. 

Minho sighed. "I'm sorry. This just...." he stroked it tenderly. 

"Whose is that?" Edward asked. 

Minho didn't turn to him. "Your girl Teresa wasn't the first one here,"

"What do you mean?" Edward asked. "Oh and Teresa is not my girl," he interjected. 

"We had a girl here once. She was the fastest runner we had. Even faster than me,"

"What happened to her?"