The Last City

Edward had sat silently in the trunk for over three hours. Whilst no one was looking, he sent silent glances over to Brenda. He had felt a little guilty keeping a distance like that from her but after everyone observed them lie next to each other, he just didn't want to give them a reason to tease.

Amelia peered through her goggles through the windshield. "We made it guys! Stop the truck, Jorge!"

Edward felt his body bash against the front as the tyres screeched and the truck stopped. Chuck collided against him.

"Sorry," Jorge chuckled.

"Ha ha," said Edward awkwardly. "Come on Chuck,"

The two of them along with Aris and Harriet leapt out of the back and joined Amelia, Jorge, and Brenda at a cliff edge. In the distance, they saw a rich city shimmering under the sun with tall skyscrapers in the centre. Surrounding the city was a tall wall which through her binoculars Amelia could see giant guns. It was designed to keep anyone out.

"This is where we're gonna find the rest of the Right Arm?" Jorge asked.

"No. We'll find them down there," Amelia pointed down. Copying her line of vision, the group of friends saw settlements of ruins. Layers of ash and smoke piled everywhere. He could see old trucks patrolling the dirty streets, and people in old clothes. They were hungry and poor. They were desperate and dangerous.

"It's gonna be very dangerous down there," Amelia warned. "It won't just be our friends there. There are many Cranks not yet infected by the Flare who won't be allowed access. WICKED may yet already be beginning to take over,"

"Then we must make haste," Edward said determinedly. Everyone else started to get back into trouble. He flicked his eyes to Brenda. "Hey, Brenda..."

She swerved around and looked at him. "Yes?"

"I just wanted to say...sorry for being a little distant. It's just back there when we woke up and everyone was like..." he paused. He didn't want to sound very awkward.

"I get it, Ed," Brenda holding up her hand. "I felt very awkward too,"

"But it was nice that we laid down together. I...I...I mean...you were comforting me and I really appreciated it,"

Brenda smiled a bit. "You're welcome,"

Edward smiled back. The two stood there for too long that Jorge back in the truck blew the horn.

"While you two are still young!" he ranted, gesturing for them to get into the truck. Quickly they rushed over to the truck. Edward was surprised to see Amelia wasn't in her seat in the front. He saw she was sitting in the back with Chuck, Harriet, and Aris. She smiled and gestured to him to sit next to Brenda who was already in her middle seat next to Jorge.

He couldn't back out. He stepped into the truck and sat next to Brenda. Jorge drove off and the other trucks followed behind them. As they made their way towards the last city, Edward felt his mind swimming in a sea of hope.

Thomas roared in pain. WICKED's painful needles sent agony streaming through his body. His head was a mental exploding bomb and every time he felt a memory flashing in the mind his eye, he felt more torture wrecking his body.

Jerry and Teresa continued to analyse him. Ava just stood still emotionless. Janson was pacing around in circles.

"Janson. Stop," Ava ordered plainly.

Reluctantly Janson came to her side and twiddled his fingers as they watched Thomas receive the tenth jolt of pain. His screams echoed out the room.

                ........................................................................................................................