A Night in the Pit

Inside the medical hut, Alby was writing in pain. Newt was holding the vial full of blue serum in his hand, looking at it skeptically. "We don't even know what this stuff is. We don't know who sent it, or why it came up here with you Teresa. I mean, for all we know, this thing could kill him.

"He's already dying. Look at him!" Edward exclaimed. "How could this possibly make it any worse? Come on, it's worth a try,"

Newt still remained conflicted so Thomas stepped up. 

"Why would the Creators send this up with Teresa if they knew it would kill Alby if we tried it on him when already he's dying?"

Newt didn't move.

"It's worth a shot Newt. And if it does kill him, it would mean reliving him of a painful death," Thomas looked in deep sorrow at the horrifying state that Alby was in. 

Newt took in a deep breath. "Alright," he exhaled. He raised the vial deciding to do it himself but something held him back. He remained still in place. 

Thomas could tell how scared he was even though he was trying his best to hide it. "Shall I do?" he offered. 

Newt nodded and gave it to him. 

"Okay," Thomas walked right in of Alby. "Here goes," he raised the vial, holding his thumb over the end with the injector button. He held it over his chest. 

Suddenly Alby woke up and he grabbed Thomas's shirt, attacking him. 

"Thomas!" Edward tried to fight Alby to let him go. 

"You two shouldn't be here!" Alby roared. "You two shouldn't be here!"

"Alby stop!" Newt tried to restrain him with Jeff and Clint. 

"Get the syringe someone!" Thomas screamed. Luckily Teresa took it from his hand and she stabbed it right into Alby's chest, pushing the button. The blue serum was injected into his body. The moment the last drop was pushed into his blood stream, he calmed down and fell asleep. 

Everyone relaxed. He alright. Newt was the most relieved. 

"That worked," Jeff remarked. 

"Okay, from now on, someone stays here and watches him around the clock," Newt instructed. 

"I could take first watch," Teresa offered. 

Newt looked to her and nodded. "Just stay by his side at all times and if something happens, come find me. I'll take the second watch tonight,"

Right after he said that, Gally entered the hut. "Sundown Greenies. Time to go,"

Thomas and Edward looked at each other. It was time for their punishment. But it seemed fair. 

They began to walk out. 

"Wait!" Teresa cried out. "What's going on?"

"We have to sleep in the pit as punishment for breaking rules," Edward informed. "But it's fine. It's just for tonight. After you do your watch Teresa, you can take my hammock in the Homestead. I'll see you in the morning,"

He turned around, Teresa still giving him a glance. Thomas even sneaked back a glance at Newt, facially assuring him that Alby would be okay. It seemed to keep the Second in Command's hopes up a bit. 

It was as dark outside and the boys were walking towards the same pit of which Edward had been thrown into the first time he and his brother had arrived at the Glade. There were some other others dug in the ground and they had bamboo cages surrounding them.