Bridges and Tunnels

Edward and his party continued making their way down the tunnels. Though the sound of choppers died out, Edward remained fearful every second as if every step sent an increase of agony into his body. He prayed that Thomas was safe.

"We've been walking forever!" Chuck complained. He was slowing down a bit. Edward felt him dragging behind.

"Do you want me to carry you?" he offered.

"I don't need you to carry me," Chuck retorted but he yawned and Edward threw off his bag. "Maybe we should just rest for a while," he sat down and he felt Chuck's head falling onto his shoulders. He rubbed his shoulder tenderly. Teresa sat in front of him.

"I'll take watch," Aris said turning around and shining his spotlight the opposite way.

Edward and Teresa looked at one another with sincerity.

Once again Edward started their telepathic conversation. Are you doing okay?

Just tired. You?

Apart from the fact that I'm absolutely scared for my brother, just fine.

I'm sure he's fine. If you guys can survive a night in the Maze on your own, he can survive this.

But this is nothing like the Maze. We've had to endure heat and Cranks and endless hours of dreading through the sand with little water and food.

But we've made it through. Thanks to you and Thomas. Praised Teresa earning a smile.

I just couldn't bear it if something happened to Thomas and I wasn't there. Edward couldn't forget how useless he felt when he couldn't prevent WICKED from taking Thomas away from him back at the compound and attaching pipes and wires to him like a lab rat. Teresa read his mind easily and expressed deep sympathy with her gentle pressed lips.

WICKED needs him alive anyway. They wouldn't think to kill him. Especially...

She paused.

What? Especially what?

Nothing.

Edward didn't ignore the suspicious throb in his gut. Okay, Teresa. What aren't you telling me?

Why are you acting like this?

Teresa, whatever it is that you're keeping a secret, please tell me. I trust you.

Then trust me when I want to keep something secret.

Teresa if this is about me and Thomas, you have to tell us, we have a right to know. Friends shouldn't keep secrets about each other from one another. I didn't keep your real name from you did I?

No.

Then you have to tell me.

I can't. It would ruin everything.

Ruin what?

I just can't! Teresa's roar made Edward's ache erupt in agony. Sorry. Quickly Teresa stood up and walked ahead. I'll scout ahead.

Teresa wait! Edward cried out after her but she disappear. He huffed.

"What was that about?" Aris asked.

"She's hiding something about me and my brother but she's refusing to tell me!"

"Now that you mention it she sure sounds pretty suspicious to me,"

Edward was desperate for answers. If the girl from his past wouldn't tell him, then perhaps his childhood friend could. "Do you know Aris?"

Aris sighed. "I don't know Ed. I promise you I don't. If I did I would tell you,"