Final Words from Father to Sons

Ava and Teresa watched tensely as the city erupt into fire and chaos. It was horrifying for them.

"It is not over," said Ava. "The choppers are here," she eyed the crafts flocking over the city like a swarm of angry birds, ready to fire. She noticed something was off about Teresa. "Is everything all right Teresa?"

She looked pale. Her lips quivered. "I can't believe he was going to kill me,"

"Who?" Ava asked.

"Edward," she said numbly, her voice breaking.

"No," she said. "He wouldn't of. I know him too well,"

"I need to know something,"

Ava looked at her with a motherly expression. "Speak,"

"Is it true?" Teresa turned her gaze to her, half betrayed, half shocked. "Did you blackmail Stephen to produce the Flare?"

Ava was bewildered to speak.

..............................................................................................................................

Deep below in the tunnels, the party had managed to reach an abandoned area of interlinking trains where they could take shelter until the danger had passed. They couldn't leave their underground shelter. Some Right Arm members guarded the hatches leading upwards and the archways under which they had come. Loud banging and thumping echoed from above.

Chuck was scared. Brenda hugged him to comfort him.

Thomas stared at the Crank Newt yapping out as he was chained to some bars like an animal. No one was to come within ten feet of him. Every time he tried to catch the slightest hint of humanity left within the boy he loved so dearly; all he saw were the eyes of a wild creature.

Edward approached Thomas. "I'm so sorry," he touched his shoulder.

"That's not my Newt," his brother hung his head down and cried into his hand. A snivelling Ed embraced him tightly and he hugged back; his tears rained down his face. As he did, he witnessed a heartbroken Sonya being embraced by Aris and Harriet. They eyed each other with their wet eyes, sharing looks of regret and dejection. They both felt they had failed the boy whom they both loved so much.

Amelia's wounds were fully patched up; she lay against Minho and they ruefully stared at the brothers near the savage Newt. "I can't believe my mother did all this. I ashamed to be born of her,"

"That doesn't make you who you are," Minho comforted. "You still have your dad. And all of us,"

"And you," Amelia laced their fingers together. "All those weeks apart, I could never stop thinking about you,"

"You were the only thing on my mind every moment of every day," Minho spoke passionately. "I wouldn't have made it through all that trauma if you weren't alive,"

Amelia smiled tearfully and they leaned forward sharing a kiss. As they pulled apart, they heard a loud cough of the throat. They flicked their heads at Gally. "Not here," he said.

The booming above their heads turned louder and all the children they had rescued became startled. They huddled together, frightened. What if WICKED found them?

"Heard anything from my father?" asked Amelia to Gally.

"He's sent an army of men into the city but the Crank city is overrunning with soldiers from the choppers. It's not safe to return up to the surface,"

"What about Frypan and his gang?" Minho was scared for him.

"I don't know. But the rest of our men out there are providing extra cover. They're planning to try and high-jack a chopper so we can get out of here quicker. But we need an expert pilot to use the guns to take out any fighter choppers,"