The Fight to Freedom

Edward, Teresa, and Alby walked along the Maze corridors, using instructions from both Thomas and Minho. The further they walked on; the slower Edward walking pace became. Teresa walking right next to him knew exactly how he was feeling. He was nervous.

"You okay?" she asked.

"Not really,"

"I can tell,"

"I'm scared. It's that giant Griever with three tails, the one I can't control. I know that luring it away is gonna help the others escape but what if it doesn't work?"

"Edward...you're gonna figure something out. You always do," Teresa didn't use their telepathic connection, not with Alby right next to them. He would think they were weird.

"How do you know?"

"Because you always do," Teresa smiled at him and Edward smiled back. How he wished he could remember more about them. Were they more than just lab partners? Were they friends? Or something more? He had no time to dwell on that. He ushered them against a wall and he poked around a corner. It was the sight of a Griever.

"Is it a Griever?" Alby asked.

Edward nodded. "I'm gonna draw it out and get it to chase. Eventually, more will come out,"

"So your plan is cat and mouse," Alby said. He wasn't impressed. "I thought you and Thomas formed a plan,"

"Well...only the basics...not exactly how to carry it out," Edward's words weren't uplifting. "Look, the plan is we're going to draw away as many as possible so that Thomas and the others get to the gate,"

"And what about us?" Teresa asked.

"I'll find a way to lose them and then you guys will pull me up onto the wall,"

"Wait, so we're climbing up onto the wall?" Alby asked, still not impressed.

"It's the only safe spot,"

"You do realise Grievers will be able to climb up," Teresa stated anxiously.

"I know. Look this is suicidal but it's our only chance,"

"At least let me come with you," Teresa implored. "If that Griever you can't control comes and those Grievers won't be able to take it out even if you command them, you need back up,"

Edward witnessed the stubbornness painting her eyes. He nodded. "Alby...climb up this wall and carefully keep an eye out in case anything sneaks upon us. And make sure that you follow alongside us or that we're within your sight,"

"Good luck Greenie 2," Alby obliged. He stood forward and clasped his shoulder. "You're reckless Edward. Extremely reckless...but extremely brave," He looked proud. "Be careful you two,"

He sheathed his machete and he began climbing up the vines to the wall. Edward took one last look around to see two more Grievers appearing. He turned to Teresa. "Ready?"

Teresa with a brave smile did nothing but nod.

"Let's do this,"

They sprinted out into the open.

"Hey! Over here!" Edward shouted waving his hands.

"Come and get us!" Teresa goaded.

The monsters only 10 yards ahead of them roared. They turned and run feeling them on their tails.

..............................................

Thomas, Newt and Minho had already led the Gladers into the Maze. They heard distant roaring.