Ruins and Memories

Thomas had fallen asleep. 

"Hey," Newt's voice made him wake up. 

Thomas sat up.

"You fell asleep during watch," he said. "I thought I might let you rest,"

"Thanks," Thomas stood up and he saw the bright sunlight stretching through the large gaps of the ruined building towards their shelter. "We'd better get a move on,"

Newt nodded. "Everybody up!"

Thomas shook everyone awake. He was very surprised to see Edward and Teresa asleep next to each other, her arm wrapped around his. Folding a goofy closed grin with his lips, he bent down and pinched them. "Wake up love birds," 

Edward jolted awake. "Huh? Wha?" All he could see was Thomas chuckling in front of him. "What's so funny?"

Thomas aimed his eyesight down. Edward was surprised to see Teresa's arm around his. Even Teresa was too.

"Oh my," she awkwardly pulled it back. "Sorry. Must have done when I was asleep,"

"It's fine," Edward assured. "Come on," he helped her earning a smile of thanks. Still, they noticed Thomas and now Chuck's goofy grins. "Oh don't you two start," he scoffed. 

The group walked out of the ruins into the open hair. Under the burning sun, they saw a crumbling city. Blocks of debris-covered the streets. Buildings stood with lost windows and cracked walls and bars and poles poking out of the sides. They walked across the cracked but strong bridge and down to the lower streets. 

"What the hell happened to this place?" Frypan asked. 

"Doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time," Newt observed. 

"This is what the Solar flares did to our planet," Edward said. 

"I don't suppose there are many cities in the world still standing," Thomas stared around at the dried-out landscape. 

Suddenly he stopped. 

"What is it, Tom?" Edward asked.

"Stay still and keep quiet," Thomas suddenly ordered.

"Why?" Minho asked.

"Do what he says," Newt said. 

Everyone kept as silent as mice. Thomas slowly felt his heart pounding and his eardrums shaking when he heard the sound of choppers. Helicopter choppers. "Get down! Everybody hide!" 

"Over there!" Edward ushered everyone to some large spaces under pieces of debris. "Get underneath! Quick!"

Everyone crowded together and crouched. Looking up into the air, they saw a giant WICKED aircraft with helicopter propellers flying over them. Two smaller ones accompanied it. They watched as they disappeared past the standing ruined skyscrapers. 

"Good hearing Tommy," Newt patted Thomas's shoulder, proud of him. 

"Good finding a place to hide Edward," Teresa complimented Edward.

"Thanks," he said awkwardly. They came out. They were safe. For now. 

"They're never going to stop looking for us are they," Chuck looked a little pale, even under the burning sun. 

"Don't worry Chuck. They're not going to get us," Edward promised. "Come on. Let's keep going," 

The group kept walking. They came to a ginormous pile of debris and realised they had to climb up. Edward helped Chuck and Teresa up some large steps. Thomas helped Newt steady himself due to his leg sprain. The hike up the debris was tiring and a little dangerous. They steadied their steps. Once reaching the top, they realised they had to climb up huge dunes of sand. It would be extra difficult but they couldn't turn back.