The Strange Compound

Hello. Sorry for taking long. Hope you all enjoy this chapter.

"Thomas? Thomas! Tommy wake up!"

Thomas woke up. He saw Newt's head towering over him with a desperate hand clutched to his shoulder. "Get up! Come on!"

"What? What's going on?"

"We're here!" Minho's voice echoed.

"We've arrived!" Teresa shouted.

"Where?!" Thomas didn't get an answer. Instead, he was pulled up by Newt and Minho just as they felt the helicopter they were was landing. They were ushered out of the flying vehicle.

It was dark outside and soldiers were shouting at them to get inside a giant compound standing in the middle of the desert. Thomas saw guns firing out into the dark but what were the soldiers firing at. Just then he remembered someone.

"Ed. Edward!" he turned around and tried to run back to the helicopter but the soldiers grabbed a hold of him. "Let me go! That's my brother in there!"

"He's fine!"

Thomas didn't believe him. Peering over their shoulders, he saw the doctors lifting a stretcher with Edward still on it. His eyes were closed and he was unresponsive. Thomas tried desperately to get to him but he felt a new pair of arms pull him away.

"He's alive!" Newt argued. "Now come on! We've gotta get inside!" he pulled Thomas towards their group as they rushed into the giant building where two large steel gates were closing.

As Newt pulled him away, he turned his head and saw the doctors pursuing them as they carried Edward. They entered through the doors and Thomas sighed in relief when the doctors got right in with his brother's unconscious body.

Everyone around him panted with exhaustion. Newt, Minho, Teresa, Winston, Chuck, Frypan...and the dozen boys who had survived the maze with them. They were safe. For the time being. Thomas looked ahead of them. They were in a colossal compound with machinery and many strange men. Thomas held his breath. What had they gotten into now?

He turned again to his brother. He saw the doctors lifting him onto a rolling bed. They had placed an oxygen mask over him and he was being rolled away.

"Edward," he tried to run after him but Newt held him back. "Get off me!" he struggled to break free.

"He's alive," Newt ushered. "He's going to be fine,"

Thomas saw there was no point in arguing. He wanted them to disappear around the corner. He stood still, ignoring Newt's comforting hand on his shoulder.

Teresa approached them. "HE's gonna be okay right?"

"He will," Newt said positively. "These guys saved our lives. They'll save him too,"

"I hope he still has a fighting chance," Chuck said. He was crying a little.

"He will Chuck. He has to," Newt hugged him to comfort him.

"Hey guys..." a soldier came up to them. "Why don't you follow me?"

The Gladers gave glances at one another.

"It's all right. You're perfectly safe now," the man assured.

The Gladers decided to trust him and followed after him. But Thomas stayed where he was looking off to where Edward had been taken.

"Come on," Newt gently nudged him forward. "He'll be fine,"

Thomas went along with him but remained as quiet as a mouse. The group of boys and one girl followed the soldier to a giant room behind a steel door where to their delight they saw a table of food. The sight made their mouths water and their appetites ignite; they hadn't eaten anything proper in days.