Two Young Boys

This is the first chapter of Book 2. This is a made-up scene. Please let me know what you all think once you've read it.

Two young boys played in their bedroom. A mother and a father laughed as they kissed and embraced them.

"Come on S.J. don't pull on your brother's hair," Stephen said to his eldest son.

"He's only with little D.J, aren't you," Danielle often called 'Dani' chuckled.

"Dad?" Stephen Jr. asked.

"Yes,"

"What do you do for a living?"

"I help people S.J,"

"How do you do it?" Daniel Jr. asked. He looked a lot like his mother with her dark eyes and round-face shape.

"Your father helps scientists with medicines. He's also a creator of medicines,"

"Really?" Little D.J asked.

"That's right," his father nodded proudly.

"You're a very great man dad," S.J. blabbered proudly.

Stephen Sr. felt loved by his sons. "It means a lot coming from you two. But what really means a lot is raising my two little men whom I know will do great things one day,"

"We'll never be as great as you dad," Daniel said.

"Danny D.J," their father poked his nose. "We all have a great role to play in this world. Even you and your big brother do. You just don't see it yet,"

"He's right boys," his loving wife added in. "Already you two are five and six we are so proud of you,"

"Why mummy?" their eldest son asked curiously.

"Because this world is broken and it requires extraordinary people to help it. Those like you and your brother. It warms our hearts that you both are so inseparable. Promise us that no matter what happens in the future, you guys will always be there for one another,"

"We will mummy," Daniel promised as Stephen Jr hugged him.

"There my brave chaps," Danielle kissed their cheeks and the entire family got back to playing and having joyful moments with one another.

Unfortunately, this was not to last.

(a week later)

The boys were watching something inside their room when they heard voices from outside their door.

Stephen Sr. tiptoed over to the door. Daniel followed him. They opened the door slightly. They saw two people in front of their parents.

One of the visitors had a stiff build and a rat-like face which seemed to scare little Daniel. The other visitor was a woman with blonde hair tied back and white clothing.

"You must continue to work with us, Stephen. People are dying out there. The Sun has already decimated much of the planet," The woman appeared gentle but her tone sounded urgent and quite desperate.

"I can't Ava," Stephen argued. "My life is here with my wife and my sons. I cannot abandon them,"

"We would give them food and clothes and a comfortable place to stay,"

"I'm sorry but the answer is no,"

"I suggest you choose your next words very carefully," the rat-faced man who scared Daniel warned. His front buck teeth gave off a scary impression that it seemed to make Stephen Jr. flinch slightly.

"Back off Janson," Ava ordered.

Janson stood back but he sent a soft glance in Danielle's direction. She was clutching her husband's hand tightly and she did not like his presence.