The Right Arm

Jorge drove the group of boys and girls in the car and the car cart that is pulled behind. Thomas looked back at the city outside the open window as they drove further and further away. He worried about Edward every second. He hated abandoning him. Newt sat next to him, giving him comfort if he needed it.

Teresa had remained very quiet that no one took notice. 

"How much longer?" Minho asked Jorge as he sat next to him.

"Not far now," Once Jorge answered, the car with all its passengers arrived and drove through some sandy canyons. Thomas saw the city disappear behind him.

"Don't worry. They'll find us," Minho said to him, keeping his spirits up. "We'll all be back together soon. At least Aris and Chuck have stayed behind for him,"

The conversation was interrupted by the car breaking to a fast stop.

Thomas bashed his head against the head of the front seat. "Ouch!"

"Could have warned us?" Newt irritably asked Jorge.

"We walk from here," Jorge left the car. The boys left the car and the girls hopped out of the car caravan. They saw that the road ahead was blocked with so many ruined cars.

"I hope we don't have to walk far," Minho moaned.

"We'll walk as far as we need to," Jorge started walking again. The group reluctantly wandered after him. Thomas slowed far behind them because he was quite worn out from being kidnapped to being rescued to being squeezed in a large car again. Newt and Minho walked on either side in case he collapsed.

As they walked, he felt a strange tingle crawling up his spine like a snake.

"You okay Thomas?" Minho asked.

"I've got the strangest feeling we're being watched," Thomas said. He peered his head up at the cliffs towering over them and the crowded road. He didn't see anyone. Trusting his instincts, Newt peered around too but whoever might have been watching them remained invisible.

Suddenly they heard the sound of a gunshot a bullet just passed Thomas's head.

"Get down!" yelled Jorge as more gunshots went off. Everyone ducked behind for cover. Thomas was between Minho and Newt who looked at him breathing heavily. "Marcus sent us into an ambush!"

"What do we do?!" freaked out Frypan as he crouched next to Jorge. Chuck was suffering from mental heart attacks every second that Frypan hugged him close to keep him safe.

"Get ready to sprint back to the car!" he lifted out a small bomb with a remote control.

Thomas shared uncertain glances with his closest friends who huddled next to him. But it seemed like they had no other option.

"Cover your ears when I say!" Jorge began to count down but a loud voice from right behind him shouted, "Drop it!"

He, Frypan and Chuck turned and saw a tall girl with long blond hair in a ponytail. Her face was half-covered by a dark scarf. Two men were next to her. They were armed with rifles.

"Back up! Easy!" she raised her weapon at them. "All of you stand up! Hands up too!"

Every boy and girl stood up nervously with their hands up, following her commands obediently.

"Come together,"

Everyone slowly shuffled together afraid of provoking a gunshot. The girl's dark eyes scanned everyone's faces when they enlarged as they fell upon the Asian boy. "Minho?"

Minho raised his chin. He recognised that voice.

The girl pulled her scarf down revealing a round face with puffy cheeks and rosy lips.