Goodbye Grievers

Edward hadn't moved from the bed. He had stared endlessly at the photo of his family, hoping that by looking at it, he could forget all that pain from not being able to grow up with a mother or father. But it all kept coming back with his memories now returned.

The clank, clank of the rusty steel door made him flick his head to see it opening and Han entering and then closing it behind him. "I took your chip to a far-off location to draw the men away from our location. We now have a chance to re-join your friends once nightfall comes,"

"Thank you," said Edward. "I just hope they're okay," He thought of Brenda, Aris and Chuck – the closest friends.

"The Right Arm may be low in number but we are strong in spirit," Han said sturdily. "Thanks to you and your brother. You may not believe it yourself Edward, but you and your brother are heroes. The resistance would not have existed if you two didn't stand up for what was right. I know your parents would have been proud of you two,"

Edward was speechless hearing him talk that way about him. "I just hope I'm strong enough to get my brother back,"

.................................................................................................................................

Thomas was lying in his bed, trying to sleep when he heard his cell door opening. He opened his eyes and saw soldiers with handcuffs. He was pulled up, manacled, and escorted out of the cell, out of the prison rooms towards a lift. He was taken up a level, then he was pushed forward into a giant hospital room. He was strapped to a seat which levitated up before a head-scanner was tightened around his head. Then he felt tubes being inserted into his skullcap through the head machine. Then he was struck with a syringe. Everything went dark.

.................................................................................................................................

Newt sat silently in his cell, manacles on his wrists, black veins pumping under his skin. A tear fell down his fragile face. He held onto his soulmate's pendant tightly, praying that he was surviving whatever all trauma Ava Paige was putting him through. Just then, he heard the locks disengaging. A doctor and two soldiers entered the open room and then closed it again. He held a blue vial of serum in his hands. It was meant for him.

Newt glared at him sourly but the doctor took no notice. HE sat very still watching the doctor prepare the treatment which Ava had promised Thomas would be given to him. But as he glared at that doctor, Newt recognised him. He recognised him as one of the men who had tried to torture Thomas back at that compound they were both brought to with their friends. Feeling animalistic, a low growl erupted from his throat. As if he were a wild animal. The moment the doctor raised s head, he pounced on the map, scratching his face with his fingers like a predator on prey. The soldiers hauled him, pulling him against the wall with the chains.

The distressed doctor stumbled out of the cell and pulled out a walkie-talkie. "Doctor Paige! It just got worse!"

.................................................................................................................................

Thomas opened his eyes very slowly. He felt his body lying down on a soft floor of grass. He sat up and found himself in a green field surrounded by trees and huts made out of straw and wood. It was just like the Glade. His heart pounded under his lungs and fear took hold of him. "No. no," he stuttered. "This can't be real,"

He twisted around. He saw Gladers in the far distance in front of the open gates, Alby with them. But then he heard a voice. Loud but gentle and caring. "Thomas," It was a woman's voice. Thomas felt fear losing its grip on him. "Thomas," he could hear clearly. He turned his head and he saw a woman in the far distance near the edge of the Glade's forest. She was kind and caring. She had long dark hair and a face that resembled Edward's.