The Safe Haven

As Thomas opened his eyes, he felt more relaxed than before. He sat up slowly, cringing a little in pain. He gently touched the bandage that had been wrapped around his waist. He saw light stretching in through the curtain-covered entrance of the medical hut he was lying in. He was sitting on a comfortable makeshift bed with a chair on the side and there were shelves of medicines and other medical equipment on the side. He gently swung his legs over and stood up carefully. He pulled the curtains back.

The sun was the first thing he saw. It was hanging over a line of shimmering ocean. He felt a gentle wind gust blowing into his face. He tilted his head right and to his astoundment, he saw a settlement of giant tents and cabins stretched across the beach and the shoreline's hills. And there were people everywhere. It was beautiful. It was paradise. It was a Safe Haven.

"Tommy?"

Thomas turned around and saw Newt standing five feet away from him, water and food held in his arms. "Newt?"

Newt dropped the beverages and lobbed his arms around Tommy holding him tight, never wanting to let go again. "I was so scared I lost you," he cried.

"I was so scared I lost you," his lover spoke back, love and passion vocalised in his voice. "I'd given up hope when I saw you again,"

"But you saved me. And I was going to do whatever it took to save you," Newt pulled back and before Thomas could react, he planted a kiss on his lips which he returned affectionately. Holding hands they walked down to the beach, observing people building more shelters with planks of wood.

Thomas could see that many of them were teens but there were also adults too. There were so many he couldn't count. As they walked further on, they saw their closest friends closely building together. When they saw them, they all walked down and before Thomas could react, he was pulled in a massive group hug by Minho, Frypan, Aris and Sonya.

"You gave us quite a scare Shank," teased Minho giving him a playful punch.

"Good thing we got you patched up in time," Frypan was overjoyed. "Though you were unconscious for a few days. In the meantime, we've been building all this," he showed all the glorious pieces of structure they had been working on.

"Newt wouldn't leave your side for one," teased Sonya.

"Sonny," Newt moaned playfully.

"How are there so many of us here?" asked Thomas.

"We rescued dozens of Cranks," said Aris. "Couldn't leave them there to suffer. Also, some city folk,"

"It's so good to have you back Thomas," Amelia approached the group and he greeted him with a hug. Gally and Harriet were there too, the latter wearing a cast and using a crutch to support her. "We cured all those people we saved. Edward gave up some of his blood and we used yours too. From the bandages of course. Newt refused to let the doctors take anymore from you,"

"So, what do you think?" asked Minho after he rotated his head in a half-circle.

Thomas stared around. His lips formed the biggest smile he had ever expressed. "It's perfect," All his time under WICKED's custody he had given up hope of ever being free, but now that he was standing on this beach surrounded by everyone he loved, it was the greatest feeling he had ever felt. He noticed one person was with them. "Where's Edward?"

........................................................................................................................

Edward was sitting on a clifftop near the beach, staring out at the sea. It was so beautiful. All his life had always dreamed of seeing the sea. And now it had come true. But he didn't feel at peace. His feeble fingers stroked the little totem. "I'll always remember you Chuckie," he kissed it and clutched it protectively.