Regaining Memories

Edward and Teresa were dragged like naughty dogs to the pit. 

"Let us go Gally! You don't know what you're doing!" Teresa begged. 

"Don't say a word Teresa!" he snapped back.

"You leave her be!" Edward hissed. "And whatever problem you have with me, leave Teresa out of it!"

Gally paid no attention. He opened the middle pit and like a ruffian, pushed Edward inside and he fell inside with a thud. Quickly he slammed the bamboo door over the pit locking him inside. 

He then opened the right pit and Teresa was thrown inside. Edward heard her grunting in pain. 

"Don't ruffle her like that!" Edward snapped, hissing at his nemesis through the bamboo bars. 

Gally closed in again. "You keep your mouth shut Greenie 2 if you want to live another day! You're going to pay for what you've done!"

Edward wanted to retort back but he knew his words wouldn't make anything better. He watched as Gally and his henchmen marched away into the darkness. Sighing heavily, Edward slumped against the stone wall and slid down onto the floor. He clutched his knees close to his chest and begin to sniffle a bit. Gally couldn't be right about him. He never ordered those monsters to attack the Glade. 

Are you okay Edward?  Teresa called to him in his mind. 

No I am not okay Teresa. 

Edward, you're not responsible for what's happened. 

That's not what Gally thinks. Or any of the other Gladers.

Don't say that. I know Chuck doesn't think. And I'm sure that Newt, Minho and Frypan don't either. If anything it's my fault. Alby said it to himself that I'm the one who triggered this.

Don't you dare blame yourself, Teresa! The Creators did this. Not you. 

There was a moment of silence between them. 

Teresa started the conversation this time. What do we do then? 

I don't know. 

Your brother will think of something.

I don't want him to get involved in this. Newt or someone else has probably figured out he knew about my secret. Edward thought of his brother and what he was doing right now. He hoped that none of the Gladers were arousing any suspicions towards him. 

We'll figure this out together Edward. I promise. Teresa tried to make her words sound meaningful. 

Edward could sense it. Thanks Teresa. He couldn't help but feel a strange warm feeling painting his face. 

No problem.

Do you... Edward paused feeling a little awkward. Do you think we were best friends or something before the Maze or something?

We knew each other before the Maze so we must have been close before the Maze. I'm really glad that we were both sent up here. 

I can't help but think I feel the same way too. So...what do you think gonna happen now?

Well...I guess the Grievers will attack again tomorrow night. Alby will be trying to make sure everyone is ready. 

You don't think he's gonna leave us in the pit when it happens?

Of course not. You saved his life even though it meant exposing your secret. Why else did he not go through with Gally's idea of banishment?